Lindores Abbey

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type ABBEY (12TH CENTURY), COFFIN(S) (MEDIEVAL)
Canmore ID 30109
Site Number NO21NW 5
NGR NO 24390 18475
Council FIFE
Parish NEWBURGH
Former Region FIFE
Former District NORTH EAST FIFE
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred NO 24390 18475

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NO21NW 5.00 centred 24390 18475

(NO 2438 1846) Lindores Abbey (NR)
(Tironensian - Founded AD 1178)
OS 6" map, (1959)

NO21NW 5.01 NO 2434 1849 Penannular brooch
NO21NW 5.02 NO 2430 1830 Copper Buckle
NO21NW 5.03 NO 2440 1860 Copper Buckle (possible); Copper Key; Spindle Whorl
NO21NW 5.04 NO 24454 18380 Detached section South of roadway

For traditionally-associated Monks' Well (NO 2373 1795) and Abbot's Well (NO 2407 1795), see NO21NW 10 and NO21NW 19, respectively.

For discovery of cist and human remains near the abbey, see NO21NW 8.

For (adjacent) Lindores Abbey Farm, see NO21NW 142.

Location formerly entered as NO 2438 1846.

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28173- DC28181, 1870, 1925 & 1937.
(Undated) information in NMRS.

The Tironensian Abbey of Lindores was founded in 1191 by David, Earl of Huntingdon. Though Scotichronicon (Fordoun 1759) gives its foundation date as 1178, this may be regarded as being too early (D E Easson 1957) Reformers sacked the Abbey and expelled the monks in 1543, and again in 1559. It was secularised in 1600.
It is now considerably ruined, the buildings have been robbed of stone, but the ground plan has been defined by excavation carried out about the middle of the 19th century.
Fordoun 1759; RCAHMS 1933; D E Easson 1957; S Cruden 1960.

Lindores Abbey is in poor state of repair.
Visited by OS (J L D) 26 October 1956 and (R D) 10 June 1970.

Scheduled as 'Londores Abbey... the upstanding and buried remains of Lindores Abbey, its precinct and associated walls.'
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 5 October 2011.

 
External Links

Scottish Church Heritage Research (SCHR)


 
Books and References

Aitken, G S (1884) The abbeys of Arbroath, Balmerino and Lindores illustrated and described, Dundee
Held at RCAHMS D.13.13.ARB

Coe, G (1996) Coe's castles: a touring guide to the castles of Scotland: the kingdom of Fife, No 2 the Howe of Fife, [S.l.]
Page(s): pp 19-20 Held at RCAHMS D.4.1.COE.P

Cowan and Easson, I B and D E (1976) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 60 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS.R

Showing 3 from 11 ...show more
Charity SC026749