Bute, Rothesay, Kirk Dam

© Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Robert Thom's Water Cuts
Site Type DAM (18TH CENTURY), SLUICE(S) (19TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 304564
Site Number NS06SE 429
NGR NS 08430 63732
Council ARGYLL AND BUTE
Parish ROTHESAY
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District ARGYLL AND BUTE
Former County BUTESHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NS06SE 429 08430 63732.

This dam, situated on the burn that runs from Loch Fad NNE to the sea and 200m W of St Mary’s Chapel (NS06SE 1), was built in the late 18th century to create a reservoir of water that would power the Rothesay Cotton Mills (NS06SE 5), established in 1779. It was raised in the early 19th century as part of the Robert Thom’s work to supplement the water supply to the mills (Maclagan 1996). Part of a ‘miln dam’ is depicted on May’s estate map of Craigberoch and Barone Park, surveyed in 1781. A dam and two sluices are shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Buteshire 1869, Sheet CCIV).
Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 18 May 2010.

7 August 2006
 WATCHING BRIEF

Notes A watching brief was undertaken at Kirk Dam, Rothesay, during the proposed conversion of sections of an 11kv electrical distribution system on the Isle of Bute from an overhead line to an underground cable.

The area of investigation was situated in the Kirk Dam, one component of a Scheduled Ancient Monument known as Thom’s Water Cuts, aqueduct and dam, Little Barone to Kirk Dam which stretches east/west from NS 8363 6406 to NS 8457 6380, a total distance of some 1200m. It is located on the southern outskirts of Rothesay, on the Isle of Bute, Argyll. The dam lies at the north end of a linear reservoir, which stretches some distance south of Rothesay, and towards the east end of the scheduled monument. It is centred on approximately NS 844 637, to the immediate north of St Mary’s Church.

The watching brief was commissioned by Scottish & Southern Energy (SSE) and undertaken by Robin Murdoch of Scotia Archaeology on 7th August 2006.


Further details

18 May 2010
 DESK BASED ASSESSMENT

Project RCAHMS Isle of Bute Survey

Notes This dam, situated on the burn that runs from Loch Fad NNE to the sea and 200m W of St Mary’s Chapel (NS06SE 1), was built in the late 18th century to create a reservoir of water that would power the Rothesay Cotton Mills (NS06SE 5), established in 1779. It was raised in the early 19th century as part of the Robert Thom’s work to supplement the water supply to the mills (Maclagan 1996). Part of a ‘miln dam’ is depicted on May’s estate map of Craigberoch and Barone Park, surveyed in 1781. A dam and two sluices are shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Buteshire 1869, Sheet CCIV).
Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 18 May 2010.


Further details

15 October 2010 to 26 October 2010
 MEASURED SURVEY

Project RCAHMS Isle of Bute Survey

Notes Plane table survey, SRA, tapes
Site plan


Further details

 
Books and References

Earls, A (1945) 'Robert Thom and his work on water power for the Rothesay cotton mills', Trans Buteshire Natur Hist Soc, vol.13
Page(s): 129-43

Ferrier, J (1966) 'Robert Thom's water-cuts', Trans Glasgow Archaeol Soc, New, vol.15, 3
Page(s): 129-38 Held at RCAHMS Per

Maclagan, I (1996) 'Robert Thom's Cuts on the Island of Bute', Transactions of the Buteshire Natural History Society, vol.XXIV Rothesay
Page(s): 3-19 Held at RCAHMS Per

Showing 3 from 3 ...show less
Charity SC026749