Greens

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type PICTISH SYMBOL STONE (PICTISH)
Canmore ID 3064
Site Number HY50SW 9
NGR HY 5419 0317
Council ORKNEY ISLANDS
Parish ST ANDREWS AND DEERNESS
Former Region ORKNEY ISLANDS AREA
Former District ORKNEY
Former County ORKNEY
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

HY50SW 9 5419 0317.

This stone was found close to the farm buildings at Greens in 1923 and is now in National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS (IB 203); incised on hard flagstone, it bears a circular disc and rectangle with square indentation, crescent and V-rod, and mirror.
H Marwick 1924; RCAHMS 1946; RCAHMS 1985.

The find-spot, at HY 5419 0317, was indicated by Mr J Laughton who wa s present at the time.
Visited by OS 23 August 1964.

Class I symbol stone bearing a mirror-case above a crescent and V-rod with a mirror below.
A.Mack 1997

The Greens stone was found in 1923 during trenching operations in the farmyard. It bears three incised symbols: disc with notched rectangle, crescent and V-rod, and mirror (Royal Museum of Scotland IB 203).
H Marwick 1924; RCAHMS 1946; 1987 (OR18); F T Wainwright 1962.


 ORKNEY SMR NOTE

Notes Discovered 7th December 1923 by farmer Mr D Laughton digging drain, 3 or 4 yards from NE corner of farm buildings. Stone was 1ft down lying flat on its face. [R1 & R2]
Photographic plate. [R3]
Find spot confirmed by Mr D Laughton who was present at time of discovery.
Symbols are Disc-and-notched-rectangle
Crescent-and-V-rod
Mirror OS visit Aug 1964
Information from Orkney SMR


Further details

 
Books and References

Jackson, A (1984) The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts, Kirkwall
Held at RCAHMS E.11.JAC

Mack, A (1997) Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones, Balgavies, Angus
Page(s): 33 Held at RCAHMS E.11.MAC

Marwick, H (1924b) 'Two sculptured stones recently found in Orkney', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.58
Page(s): 295-9

Showing 3 from 8 ...show more
Charity SC026749