Rossie, Village And Market Cross

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Loupin' On Stane; Mounting Steps; Mounting Block; Rosinclearach; Rossie Priory Policies; Old Rossie, Market Cross; Rossie, Priory Stone
Site Type BRIDGE, FISHPOND(S), MARKET CROSS, MOUNTING BLOCK, STONE, VILLAGE
Canmore ID 30655
Site Number NO23SE 5
NGR NO 29211 30728
Council PERTH AND KINROSS
Parish INCHTURE
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District PERTH AND KINROSS
Former County PERTHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NO23SE 5 29211 30728

(NO 2921 3072) Market Cross (NAT)
Site of the Village of Rossie (NR)
OS 6" map (1959)

The village of Rossie was demolished by the 7th Earl of Kinnaird about 1795 when constructing a park for his new house (Rossie Priory), a new village being built at Baledgarno, the parish having been previously (1670) united with Inchture (A H Millar 1890).
All that remains are the parish church (NO23SE 4), a fine market cross dated 1746, with a unique square fluted shaft supporting two lions and two unicorns (J W Small 1900) which stood in the centre of the village (Name Book 1861) and a stone called the 'Loupin-on Stane' that formerly stood by the inn door (Millar). The Dundee - Perth road formerly passed through the village. It is shown on a plan of 1783, which also shows the extent of the village (J Stobie 1783).
(Undated) information in NMRS.

There is no ground evidence of the village of Rossie, apart from the features described above. The market cross, in good condition, is as described, while the Loupin-on Stane, at NO 2920 3072, is a rude block of stone, 2.1m long by 1.0m high and 0.5m thick. No definite trace of the old road could be found, although it probably crossed the stream near the market cross at the existing modern bridge.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (RD) 4 February 1969

No change to previous field report.
Revised at 25".
Visited by OS (JM) 8 June 1976

The village of Rossie was cleared by George, seventh Lord Kinnaird (died 1805) in the late 18th century as part of the improvements to the Rossie Priory estate. It occupied the relatively level ground at the foot of a natural scarp beside the Rossie Burn and was overlooked by the old parish church (NO23SE 4). A scatter of pottery and tile in the ploughsoil (NO 291 307) may broadly correspond with the extent of the settlement and, on the E bank of the Rossie Burn (NO 2926 3065), there are the wasted remains of a solitary rectangular building (10m from WNW to ESE by 5.7m transversely over turf-covered stone wall-footings).
The mercat cross (stepped base, square fluted shaft and composite capital supporting two unicorns, two lions and a bull finial, bearing the date 1746 and the initials KG RH), which now stands some 80m SSE of the church, is said to have been erected at the centre of the village. Beside it (NO 2920 3072) there is a large boulder (the Loupin'-on-stane) which is believed to have stood beside the inn.
Roy depicts Rossie as a linear development along the W and E sides of the confluence of the Lochspout and Rossie Burns, some 300m to the SSW of the present position of the mercat cross. All that is visible at that location, however, are a series of disused fish ponds (NO 2916 3051 to 2936 3050) and an old bridge over the Lochspout Burn (NO 2928 3050); the ponds seem to have been still in use in 1867 (OS 6-inch map, 1st ed., Perthshire, 1867, sheet 87). Stobie also depicts the village (probably with a degree of accuracy) straddling the Rossie Burn alongside the old Perth to Dundee road, and indicates a mill at the confluence of the two burns. The church and village of 'Rosinclerach' are on record in 1160 x 1162.
Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) 6 April 1989.

Rossie, Market Cross was formerly scheduled as Rossie, Priory Stone. This highly impressive mid 18th century market cross marks the site of the village of Rossie (removed 1795) and is now essentially a landscape feature in the grounds of Rossie Priory (NO23SE 38.00).
Information from Historic Scotland, Certificate of Exclusion from Schedule dated 30 January 2003.

 
Books and References

Land Use Consultants (1987) An inventory of gardens and designed landscapes in Scotland, 5v {Glasgow?}
Page(s): vol. 4, pp. 240-1 Held at RCAHMS G.6.2.LAN

Melville, L (1939) The fair land of Gowrie, Coupar Angus
Page(s): 89 Held at RCAHMS D.13.22.GOW

Millar, A H (1890a) The historical castles and mansions of Scotland: Perthshire and Forfarshire, Paisley
Page(s): 33-4, 54 Held at RCAHMS F.5.41.MIL

Showing 3 from 11 ...show more
Charity SC026749