Parbroath Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 31473
Site Number NO31NW 6
NGR NO 32157 17617
Council FIFE
Parish CREICH (NORTH EAST FIFE)
Former Region FIFE
Former District NORTH EAST FIFE
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NO31NW 6 32157 17617.

(NO 3215 1761) Parbroath Castle (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6"map, (1959)

The only remnant of Parbroath Castle is a fragment of a vault standing in a field 300 yards SW of Parbroath farm. However, the ditch of a roughly triangular bailey that has enclosed the castle is visible as a crop-mark on air photographs (Visible on RAF air photographs 541/A/474: 4010-11). It measures 600' long by 400' max width with one corner S of the main Newburgh-Cupar road. In 1512 the estate of Parbroath became royal property through non-entry for 50 years, and James IV then gave it to John Seton, and numerous charters were dated from the mansion in the 15th and 16th centuries.
RCAHMS 1933, visited 1925; A H Millar 1895; Information from notes by K A Steer, 1954.

The remains of Parbroath Castle consist of a wall fragment of freestone, 8.0m long by 3.0m high and 0.8m thick at base, showing the commencement of a barrel vault. Some small stones are scattered about 12.0m E of the wall, but there are no definite traces of foundations. Course of bailey plotted from air photographs, no trace on ground.
Visited by OS (D S) 2 November 1956.

No change.
Visited by OS (R D) 26 May 1970.

25 April 1951
 AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHIC INTERPRETATION

Project Marginal Land Survey

Notes This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

Further details

 
Books and References

Millar, A H (1895) Fife: pictorial and historical: its people, burghs, castles and mansions', 2v Cupar, Edinburgh and Glasgow
Page(s): Vol. 2, 333 Held at RCAHMS D.4.MIL.R

RCAHMS (1933) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eleventh report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Fife, Kinross, and Clackmannan Edinburgh
Page(s): 68, No. 142 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/11

RCAHMS (1950-9) Marginal Land Survey (unpublished typescripts). 3v. Typescripts
Page(s): v2 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.MAR

Showing 3 from 3 ...show more
Charity SC026749