Cupar, Market Cross

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Mercat Cross
Site Type MARKET CROSS
Canmore ID 31554
Site Number NO31SE 7
NGR NO 37523 14570
Council FIFE
Parish CUPAR
Former Region FIFE
Former District NORTH EAST FIFE
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NO31SE 7 37523 14570.

(NO 3752 1457) Mercat Cross (NR) (Present Site)
OS 25"map, Fife, (1914)

(NO 3753 1454) Market Cross (NR) (Site of) (original)
OS 6"map, Fife, 1st ed., (1854)

Cupar Cross - In 1817 the Market Cross was removed from Cupar to Wemyss Hall Hill (see NO31SE 20) but in 1897 it was replaced on the present site at the junction of Crossgate, Bonnygate and St. Catherine Street. The pedestal is modern or re-dressed. From it rises a circular shaft bearing the date 1683 and the town motto "Unitas". The capital is modern, but is surmounted by the original unicorn.
RCAHMS 1933.

"A little to the south of this building (the Tolbooth) stood the old cross of Cupar which was taken down in 1817. A pictorial plan by Gordon of Rothiemay,1642, is reproduced, showing the steps and apparently the base of junction with the Bonnygate. (It seems likely that the present cross was made in 1683 to replace an earlier cross which had been damaged or destroyed by 1642).
A H Millar 1895.

The Cross is as described by RCAHMS (1933). An inscription on the base of the pedestal states that the Cross stood near its present position until it was removed c. 1812, and that the shaft and unicorn of the old Cross were re-erected in 1897.
Ten metres SE of the present position, a hexagonal design, formed by paving stones on the asphalt road surface indicating the earlier site (Information from D B Martin, Burgh surveyor, Cupar).
Visited by OS (D S) 1 November 1956.

Above confirmed.
Visited by OS (R D L) 21 May 1964.

 
Books and References

Millar, A H (1895) Fife: pictorial and historical: its people, burghs, castles and mansions', 2v Cupar, Edinburgh and Glasgow
Page(s): Vol. 1, 129, (map, 123) Held at RCAHMS D.4.MIL.R

RCAHMS (1933) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eleventh report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Fife, Kinross, and Clackmannan Edinburgh
Page(s): 90, No. 171 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/11

Simpson and Stevenson, A T and S (1981g) Historic Cupar: the archaeological implications of development, Scottish burgh survey series {Glasgow}
Page(s): 3 Held at RCAHMS C.3.3.BUR

Showing 3 from 4 ...show more
Charity SC026749