Alternative Names Eassie Old Church; Eassie, Old Parish Church; Eassie Old Kirk
Site Type CROSS SLAB (PICTISH), PICTISH SYMBOL STONE (PICTISH)
Canmore ID 32092
Site Number NO34NE 4
NGR NO 3526 4745
Parish EASSIE AND NEVAY
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District ANGUS
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NO34NE 4 3526 4745
For Eassie, Old Parish church, see NO34NE 3.
(NO 3526 4745) Standing Stone (Sculptured) (NAT)
OS 6" map (1959)
An upright, symbol-bearing, Class II cross-slab of old red sandstone, rectangular in shape but slightly pointed at the top, 6'8" high by 3'4" by 9" thick.
It is sculptured in relief on both faces, the front bearing the cross, two angels, a man with spear and shield, a stag, a hound and a unidentifiable beast. The back bears the 'elephant', double-disc and Z-rod symbols, four human figures, three of them in procession, and a pot with a flower or tree growing in it. Parts of the bodies of three cows and an arched object have been broken away.
The stone was found in the bed of a stream near the church, to the east end of which it was removed about 1850.
J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; A J Warden 1880
This Class II Pictish cross-slab is now in the ruined parish church at Eassie; at the end of the 18th century the stone lay in the bed of a stream, but by 1842 it had been re-erected near the church.
Statistical Account (OSA) 1795; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; J Stuart 1856; A Jervise 1859; J R Anderson and J Anderson 1903; H Coutts 1970; RCAHMS 1983.
|16 December 1969||FIELD VISIT|
Notes A small permanent building, with viewing windows, has been built by the DoE to house the stone in the SE angle of the church.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 16 December 1969
Notes This cross-slab was found in the bed of a stream and was removed to the E end of Eassie Church c.1850. By 1969 a small building with viewing windows was built by the DoE to house the stone in the SE angle of the church. It is an upright symbol-bearing slab of old red sandstone, 2m x 1m x 0.23m and is ornamented in relief on both faces. On the front, an interlaced cross with hollow discs at the angles, surrounded by 2 angels (one is defaced) a man bearing a spear and a shield, and a stag, a hound and an unidentifiable beast. On the back, the 'elephant', double-disc and 2-rod symbols, four figures and vegetation growing from a pot. The lower end is now much defaced, but the remains of 3 cows and an arched object are discernible.
Information from RCAHMS (R Jones) 1980.
Notes Class II symbol stone.On the face are the cross with two angels and below an unmounted figure,a stag,a "beast" and a hound. On the reverse in the top left corner are an elephant over a double-disc and Z-rod.Below these are illustrations offigures and cattle,and to the right the remains of a horseshoe above an elephant.
A Mack 1997.
|Books and References|
Allen and Anderson, J R and J (1903) The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.3, 218-19 Held at RCAHMS G.1.11.ALL
Armit, I (1998i) Scotland's hidden history, Stroud, Gloucestershire
Page(s): 142-3 Fig 81 Held at RCAHMS E.2.1.ARM
Chalmers, P (1848) The ancient sculptured monuments of the county of Angus, including those at Meigle in Perthshire and one at Fordoun in the Mearns, Edinburgh
Page(s): pl.16 Held at RCAHMS D.6.XL