Balfour Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Incorporating Mains Farmhouse
Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 32359
Site Number NO35SW 2
NGR NO 33764 54611
Council ANGUS
Parish KINGOLDRUM
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District ANGUS
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NO35SW 2 33764 54611

(NO 3377 5460) Balfour Castle (NR) (Remains of).
OS 6" map, Forfarshire and Angus, 2nd ed., (1927)

All that remains of Balfour Castle, which probably dates to the early 16th century, is a large circular tower. It is a peculiar lean-to roof, presumably an ancient alteration, and appears to have been the SW angle of a courtyard-type castle, traces of which exist to N and E. The tower, which is massively built, is vaulted on the ground floor, and was originally entered from the courtyard; the present doorway is modern. It contains 6 storeys, and is 50' to 60' high, built with a considerable taper. It is attached to a farmhouse, which was built c.1845 when two wings of the ruinous castle were pulled down (NSA 1845).
A J Warden 1880-85; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; N Tranter 1962-70; NSA 1845.

The remains of Balfour Castle are as described and in a fair state of preservation. A fragment of a return wall exists on the NE side of the tower for a distance of 1.2m. This fragment stands at the same height as the tower and is 2.5m thick. The tower is not inhabited, but the vaulted basement houses an electrice generator.
Visited by OS (JLD) 18 September 1958.

Balfour Castle (name verified) is as described in the previous information.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (TRG) 10 January 1977.

All that remains standing of this castle is a circular tower to which the present farm-house is attached. The tower, which tapers markedly upwards is of six storeys with a vaulted ground floor and is furnished with wide gunports; it probably stood at the SW corner of a courtyard, the remains of the NE tower having been removed in the 19th century.
The castle was probably built in the early 16th century.
A J Warden 1880-5; RCAHMS 1984.

The following find was reported to Angus Museums:
NO 337 545 Copper-alloy mount found with a metal detector at Balfour Castle, Kingoldrum. Returned to finder. DBM no. 2046.
Sponsor: Angus Museums.
R Benvie 1998.

 
Books and References

Benvie, R (1998a) '{Various finds (various parishes), made mainly with metal detectors, and reported to Angus Museums]', Discovery Excav Scot
Page(s): 11

Coventry, M (2001) The castles of Scotland Musselburgh
Page(s): 69 Held at RCAHMS F.5.2.COV

MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 3, 337-8 fig. 266 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC

Showing 3 from 7 ...show more
Charity SC026749