Upper Largo, 9-20 Woodlaw Park, John Wood's Hospital

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names John Wood's Houses; St Andrews Road
Site Type HOSPITAL
Canmore ID 32829
Site Number NO40SW 6
NGR NO 42494 03575
Council FIFE
Parish LARGO
Former Region FIFE
Former District NORTH EAST FIFE
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NO40SW 6.00 42494 03575

INFORMATION TAKEN FROM THE ARCHITECTURE CATALOGUE

ARCHITECT: James Leslie, 1830.
Original hospital, Robert Mylne, 1665.

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NO40SW 6.00 42494 03575

(NO 4249 0356) Hospital (NR)
OS 6" map (1938).

NO40SW 6.01 NO 42537 03563 Cottages

Largo - In 1659, a hospital for old men of the name of Wood was founded by a Mr John Wood.
OSA 1792.

Wood's Hospital, Kirkton, Largo. The original building was begun in 1665. By 1829 it had fallen into a bad state of repair, and in 1830 a new building was erected.
A S Cunningham 1913

The existing Wood's Hosptial, now an Old People's Home, is the one built around 1830 (Caretaker, Wood's Hospital). It is an unpretentious building of two storeys. A wall plaque in the entrance hall gives similar information to that by Statistical Account (OSA).
No trace of the original hospital is to be seen.
Visited by OS (EGC) 16 October 1962.

 
Books and References

Cunningham, A S (1913) Lundin Links,
Page(s): 57-8

Gifford, J (1988) Fife, The buildings of Scotland series London
Page(s): 422 Held at RCAHMS Quick

OSA (1791-9) The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, in Sinclair, J (Sir) Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.4, 542-3 Held at RCAHMS B.2.2.STA

Showing 3 from 3 ...show more
Charity SC026749