Craigtoun Park

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Craigtoun Hospital; Craigtoun Mansion; Mount Melville
Site Type COUNTRY HOUSE (20TH CENTURY), HOSPITAL (20TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 32949
Site Number NO41SE 11
NGR NO 48029 14412
Council FIFE
Parish CAMERON
Former Region FIFE
Former District NORTH EAST FIFE
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NO41SE 11.00 48029 14412

INFORMATION TAKEN FROM THE ARCHITECTURE CATALOGUE:

ARCHITECT:
Paul Waterhouse, present house.
(James Gillespie Graham was the architect of the previous house on the site, 1820)

Now a Maternity Home known as Craigtoun Hospital.

Some park buildings were demolished in 1966.

REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE:
Rough sketch plans of different lay outs of the Estate indicating projected alterations.
The Mansion house, Garden, Offices, Sunk fences, Lumbo Farmstead and The House of Ballon are shown.
1783, 1785, 1786
GD 126/Box 9

Proposed Gateways and Lodges.
A handsome Gateway and Lodge should be built where the Approach joins the main road. There is to be another Gateway and Lodge at Ballan and it is suggested that the present gate might be left but not used and 2 pillars errected to give the idea of a Gate of Entry at the NE corner of the Park.
1796
GD 126/Box 9

Account of expense of building the New House.
Note of sums paid to masons, wrights, plasterer and slater.
1698
GD 126/Box 5

Description of proposed layout of House and Garden. ' ... The Approach towards and thro' The Old Garden to the S.E. corner of the New One when is should sweep round towards the New House to be built and situated on the N. side of the New Garden or in the strip or belt of trees N. of it ... The Old House to be pulled down and a garden placed nearly in its situation but rather more South. A new set of office houses to be built nearby on the site of the present.'
1796
GD 126/Box 9

Ideas for 'embellishing' Mount Melville.
Notes concerning the position of the New House and the lay out of the Park.
Unsigned.
1796
GD 126/Box 9
[Some details follow]

Expense of alteration to the House.
Hutchison's account for building the new addition and extra work to the Old House, the new kitchen court and an iron balcony had amounted to ?5,115.11.81/2. Tradesmen's accounts brought the sum spent to ?7012.0.01/2.
1823
GD 126/Box 3
[Architect James Gillespie Graham 1776-1855]

Plan for a Library over the Dining Room as suggested by Mr Whyte.
Unsigned.
1795
GD 126/Box 9

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NO41SE 11.00 48029 14412

NO41SE 1.00 48300 14452 Mount Melville Home Farm
NO41SE 11.01 48110 14303 Gate Piers
NO41SE 11.02 47991 14405 Sundial
NO41SE 11.03 48175 14118 Dutch Village (Island Buildings)
NO41SE 11.04 48293 14176 Walled Garden with Summer House
NO41SE 11.05 48213 14408 Formal Garden
NO41SE 11.06 48165 14237 Italian Wellhead
NO41SE 11.07 48292 14231 Lavatory-Block
NO41SE 11.08 48327 14212 Craigtoun Lodge
NO41SE 11.09 48117 14430 Offices
NO41SE 11.10 47212 14695 Craigtoun Park Lodge (West Lodge)
NO41SE 11.11 48097 14321 Screen Wall with Archway
NO41SE 11.02 48216 14169 Temple (demolished)
NO41SE 33 48323 14785 Mount Melville (Stables)


 PHOTOGRAPHIC RECORD

Project RCAHMS Threatened Buildings Survey 2007

Notes Paul Waterhouse of Alfred Waterhouse designed Craigtoun Park for his father-in-law James Younger. The rainwater heads are dated 1903. The panelled entrance hall, the principal corridor and magnificent arcaded staircase with marble work by Farmer and Brindley all survive. Although the double drawing room has been sub-divided all of the elaborate plasterwork and the connecting doors survive intact. The first floor conservatory leading off the south drawing room remains unaltered. The other principal reception rooms have all been altered but many details survive such as light wells, tile work and fireplaces. The billiard room on the lower floor retains all its fittings and although the service rooms have been altered the original layout survives along with some tiling and fitted cupboards.

Information from RCAHMS (STG), 2007

Further details

 
Books and References

Gifford, J (1988) Fife, The buildings of Scotland series London
Page(s): 132-3 Held at RCAHMS Quick

Pride, G L (1999) The kingdom of Fife: an illustrated architectural guide, Edinburgh
Page(s): 137-8 Held at RCAHMS Quick

Ryden (1992) Craigtoun Hospital, by St Andrews, Fife: {sale particulars}, Edinburgh
Held at RCAHMS D.4.3.CRA.S

Showing 3 from 3 ...show more
Charity SC026749