Peterhead, Kirk Street, Drill Hall
Site Type DRILL HALL (20TH CENTURY), DRILL HALL (FIRST WORLD WAR)
Canmore ID 331405
Site Number NK14NW 518
NGR NK 12799 46113
Former Region GRAMPIAN
Former District BANFF AND BUCHAN
Former County ABERDEENSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
World War One Audit of Surviving Remains
Peterhead drill hall was a substantial Scottish baronial building that occupied a prominent position facing east along Kirk Street, in a site now occupied by a major road junction. The former garden of the hall survives, and is the site of the town’s war memorial. The building was demolished in the 1970s. In 1914-18 the hall was the drill station for “F” Squadron, 2nd Scottish Horse and was the HQ of the 5th Gordon Highlanders, and drill station for “B” and “C” Companies of the battalion.
Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 19 June 2013.
|Notes and Activities|
|March 2013 to September 2013||PROJECT|
Notes A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.
|Books and References|
Osborne, M (2006) Always ready: Drill Halls of Britain’s Volunteer Force