St Bride's Ring
Alternative Names Kingennie House
Site Type SETTLEMENT
Canmore ID 33339
Site Number NO43NE 4
NGR NO 4746 3536
Parish MONIFIETH (ANGUS)
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District CITY OF DUNDEE
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NO43NE 4 4746 3536.
(NO 4746 3536) St Bride's Ring (NAT) Fort (NR)
OS 6" map, (1971)
St Bride's Ring measures c. 60' in diameter with walls c. 7' thick and 1'6" high. Jervise (1859) states that the entrance is on the S, but Neish (1862) says that it is on the E. Many large blocks (fallen from the walls) lie in the dell below.
A Jervise 1859; J Neish 1862.
Though St Bride's ring has been classified as a broch by some authorities, it lacks the structural details, eg. guard cell, intra-mural staircase, of this type of monument. It is comparable with the ring forts of central Perthshire (now, ie. 1975, recognised as homesteads - c/f NN44SE 7).
V G Childe 1939.
St Bride's Ring is situated on a projecting spur with steep slopes all round except on the SE where there is a level approach. The wall, composed of large boulders, is 2.0m - 2.5m thick and 0.3m - 1.0m high. It is best preserved on the S and E sides. The internal diameter is 15.0m. Only one break was noted - on the E. It is 2.0m wide and is flanked by two large, flat-sided boulders on the S side. The site is covered by trees.
Visited by OS (J L D) 15 May 1958.
|22 April 1957||FIELD VISIT|
Project Marginal Land Survey
Notes This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.
Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.
|Books and References|
Childe, V G (1939c) Scientific survey of Dundee and district,
Coutts, H (1970) Ancient monuments of Tayside, Dundee
Page(s): 35 Held at RCAHMS D.13.11.COU
Jervise, A (1859f) 'Notices descriptive of the localities of certain sculptured stone monuments in Forfarshire, viz.,- Benvie, and Invergowrie; Strathmartin, and Balutheran; Monifieth; Cross of Camus, and Arbirlot. Part III', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.2