Dundee, Monifieth, St Regulus' Church And Burial-Ground
Site Type BURIAL GROUND, CHURCH, COIN HOARD
Canmore ID 33407
Site Number NO43SE 25
NGR NO 49525 32355
Parish MONIFIETH (ANGUS)
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District CITY OF DUNDEE
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NO43SE 25.00 49525 32355
(NO 4953 3235) Ch (NAT)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)
NO43SE 25.01 NO 4953 3235 Pictish Cross-Slab
NO43SE 25.02 NO 4953 3235 Pictish Cross-Slab
NO43SE 25.03 NO 4953 3235 Pictish Cross-Slab
NO43SE 25.04 NO 4953 3235 Cross-Slab
NO43SE 25.05 NO 4953 3235 Cross-Shaft
The Church of Monifieth was dedicated to St Regulus and was given to Arbroath Abbey by Gilchrist, Earl of Angus, about 1207. About 1242, Maud, Countess of Angus, confirmed a grant of certain lands S of the church, which the "Keledei" held in the lifetime of her father. That is the only evidence preserved of a Culdee establishment having existed at Monifieth. In the NMAS are five Early Christian sculptured stones from this site - three Class II and two Class III.
The church, which was taken down in 1812, had existed from before the Reformation. When the present church was erected on the site, some remains of the Culdee edifice were discovered.
The pre-Reformation church was a rectangular building with a transept on the N near the E end. At the W end was a 36' high tower, in the W wall of which was the main door.
About 700 silver pennies of Alexander III, Edward I and II, were found on 15th September 1854 on the S side of the church at Monifieth. A small piece of pottery was found with them. Six coins are in the NMAS.
NSA 1845; A Jervise 1859; J Neish 1873; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1873; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; J Malcolm 1910; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1928.
|Books and References|
Allen and Anderson, J R and J (1903) The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, Edinburgh
Page(s): pt. 3, 228-30 illusts. Held at RCAHMS G.1.11.ALL
Jervise, A (1859a) 'Notes regarding historical and antiquarian peculiarities of the districts in Forfarshire, where the various relics now presented to the Museum of the Society were found', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.2
Page(s): 63, 68-9
Laing, L (2001) 'The date and context of the Glamis, Angus, carved Pictish stones', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.131