Monifieth

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Monifieth, St Regulus' Church
Site Type CROSS SLAB (PICTISH), PICTISH SYMBOL STONE (PICTISH)
Canmore ID 33410
Site Number NO43SE 25.03
NGR NO 4953 3235
Council ANGUS
Parish MONIFIETH (ANGUS)
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District CITY OF DUNDEE
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending
1980
 EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Notes NO43SE 25.3 4953 3235.

No. 3 A cross-slab measures 0.45m x 0.58m x 0.08m. Front - the defaced remains of a decorated cross shaft, on either side the vestiges of birds and beasts. Back - a horse-backed figure, the bottom right corner of the crescent symbol, an incised dog, fish monster, hound chasing a stag and a pair of biting heads. The slab was discovered in the foundations of the old parish church, and subsequently was built into the wall of the new church in 1812. It is in the RMS(NMAS) Acc.no. IB 28. Information from R Jones 1980.

Further details

 
Books and References

Mack, A (1997) Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones, Balgavies, Angus
Page(s): 144 Held at RCAHMS E.11.MAC

Stuart, J (1856a) Sculptured stones of Scotland,, vol.1 Aberdeen
Page(s): 29 pl. 92 Held at RCAHMS D.4.L.R

Stuart, J (1867) Sculptured Stones of Scotland v2,, vol.2 Edinburgh
Page(s): 41 pl 123 Held at RCAHMS D.4.L.R

Showing 3 from 3 ...show more
Charity SC026749