Dundee, Barrack Street, The Howff
Alternative Names The Houff; Meadowside; Old Burial Ground
Site Type BURIAL GROUND, CEMETERY
Canmore ID 33479
Site Number NO43SW 22
NGR NO 40152 30357
Council DUNDEE, CITY OF
Parish DUNDEE (DUNDEE, CITY OF)
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District CITY OF DUNDEE
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred on NO 40152 30357
View this site on a map
Dundee, Barrack Street, The Howff.
Architect: David Neave - wall & railings at Meadowside 1828
James Black - gateway to Barrack Street 1833
Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh. Measured survey. Gravestones.
Attic 2, Bin 32, Bag 1. c. 1943.
|Notes and Activities|
NO43SW 22 40152 30357.
(Centred NO 40152 30357) The Houff or Old Burial Ground (NAT)
OS 25" map, (1959)
In 1564 Queen Mary granted the burgh permission to use the former yard of the Franciscan Friary (NO43SW 11) as a public burial ground. In 1601, the early walls were replaced by a heavy wall which still exists on the W side.
A Jervise 1861; Kidd 1909.
NO 4008 3037 - NO 4009 3034 and NO 4011 3029 - NO 4012 3028. Two stretches of the 17th century wall remaining, all the other walls being modern. Many of the gravestones bear early and mid-17th century dates.
Visited by OS (J L D) 17 April 1958.
Notes A watching brief by SUAT Ltd in 1998 on a pipe trench at the eastern corner of this graveyard revealed fragments of disarticulated human bone and a headstone, re-used as paving-slab adjacent to a stand-pipe. The bones were reburied and the gravestone was moved to a safe place. There were no other finds.
This small-scale development comprised connecting the outflow from a stand-pipe adjacent to a small brick-built outbuilding used by the Council staff as a mess room, and a new portaloo which is to be sited next to the building, to an existing outflow pipe 2m away buried beneath a gravel path. This was later revised when the pipe could not be located. Instead, a much longer trencg was cut to connect the new pipe to an existing pipe which runs beneath the cobbled path parallel to the tenement buildings which form the north-east boundary of the site.
The c 15m long trench, which was cut by machine to a depth of 0.7m and to a width of 0.7m, was cut through the gravel path and skirted very close to several headstones. The fill of tbhe trench comprised a much disturbed stony graveyard soil (dark brown clay loam), with moderate small to medium fragments of disarticulated human bone and occasional ceramic pipe stems. No evidence of articulated burials were observed, which are likely to be much more deeply buried. No finds were collected.
In addition, a headstone which had been re-used as a paving slab by the stand-pipe, was removed and put aside in a safe place. The stone had been broken in antiquity and the engraving was difficult to translate. For future reference, the stone can be found propped up against a wall on a concrete ledge behind the new fenced enclosure.
Information from SUAT, 1998
Scottish Urban Archaeological Trust. 1995. A Watching Brief at the Howff, Dundee
Notes A watching brief by SUAT Ltd in 2000 on the replacement of a flower bed along the north side of the graveyard revealed fragments of human bone, which were reburied on site, as well as modern ceramic bottles and clay pipe stems. Foundations of a former lavatory and telephone box (both of 1960's OS maps) were found.
In the border east of the north gate headstones were still in place, indicating that this area has remained undisturbed, except for planting, since the burial ground went out of use in 1836. More bone fragments were encountered in this area than on the west side because the graveyard soil here had not been sealed by a gravel pathway.
On the west side of the north gate the burial ground had been largely sealed by a former gravel pathway and make up, except at the extreme north end.
In recent times two features had been cut through the original wall. These are shown on the 1960's Ordnance Survey maps as a lavatory on the west side of the gate where the brick wall was found and further to the west, a telephone box at the location of the concrete base or plinth. The present border here had been established over the old gravel pathway, and the new cassie set pathway laid out about 1984.
Because of the shallowness of the ground preparation no archaeological horizons relating to the Greyfriar's friar were encountered and no in situ burials were disturbed.
Scottish Urban Archaeological Trust. 2000. A Watching Brief at the Howff, Dundee.
|9 September 2010||PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY|
Notes Photographed by RCAHMS on behalf of the Buildings of Scotland.
|Books and References|
Davey, N (1977) The Howff: a guide to the old cemetery, Dundee
Held at RCAHMS D.13.13.HOW.P
Jervise, A (1861a) Memorials of Angus and the Mearns: being an account historical antiquarian and traditional of the castles and towns visited by Edward I and of the barons, clergy and others who swore fealty to England in 1291-6: and also of the Abbey of Cupar and the Priory of Roseneath, Edinburgh
Page(s): 193-201 Held at RCAHMS D.13.1.JER
Kidd (1909) Kidd's guide to Dundee,