Kirkbuddo Roman Camp
Site Type BEAKER(S), DAGGER (FLINT), KNIFE(S) (FLINT)
Canmore ID 33608
Site Number NO44SE 11
NGR NO 491 442
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District ANGUS
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NO44SE 11 491 442.
A letter of 1808 mentions an urn found in a tumulus adjoining the Roman camp at Kirkbuddo (NO44SE 15 - name NO 491 442) (Achaeol 1812).
A beaker (Clarke's N.3 type) from Kirkbuddo, found in 1806, is in the Museum of the Society of Antiquaries of London (Archaeol 1871).
Items which have been found in Kirkbuddo Roman camp and which are now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS), are a beaker (Clarke's N.2 type), a flint dagger and four flint knives.
The beaker was found in 1855 and donated to the NMAS in 1945 (Accession no: EG 79) and the flint dagger and knives were purchased for the NMAS in 1880 (Accession nos. AA 54, 55, 57, 58 and 62).
Archaeol 1812; 1871; NMAS 1892; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1946.
|Books and References|
Archaeol (1812) Archaeol, vol.16
Archaeol (1871) Archaeol, vol.43
Page(s): 395 illust
NMAS (1892) Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland, new ed., enl. Edinburgh
Page(s): 5 Held at RCAHMS B.4.3.ANT