Restenneth Priory

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Strathmore Estate
Site Type PRIORY
Canmore ID 33745
Site Number NO45SE 10
NGR NO 48222 51600
Council ANGUS
Parish FORFAR
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District ANGUS
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: H.M.Office of Works

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Forfar Public Library - Measured survey by David E Adam 1912 - E & W elevations, section, detail of mouldings.

Uncatalogued MSS of General Hutton, Vol 2 No 17 - sketches and a ground plan

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NO45SE 10.00 48222 51600

NO45SE 10.01 c. 47 51 gold ring

For cup-marked stone adjacent to Prior House (NO 4810 5167), see NO45SE 51.

(NO 4822 5159) Remains of (NAT) Restenneth Priory (NR) (Augustinian) (NAT)
OS 6" map (1970)

Restenneth Priory, possibly occupying the site of a Celtic foundation is fully described and planned by Simpson (Easson 1957).
W D Simpson 1952; 1957.

A silver-gilt thumb ring from the Priory was donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1877 (Accession no: NJ 42).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1878.

The remains of Restenneth Priory stand on a knoll, and are as described. The walls of the choir are c.5.0m high and contain fine lancet windows. The foundations of the nave and part of the chapter house vary from 0.3m - 1.2m in height. The plain cloister walls are c.4.0m high. The tower is entire. The whole is well preserved by the DoE.
Visited by OS (JLD) 14 August 1958.

 
Books and References

Adams, D G (1984) Celtic and medieval religious houses in Angus: abbeys, priories, hermitages, friaries, hospitals, colleges, cathedrals etc., Brechin
Page(s): 11, 33-4 Held at RCAHMS D.13.11.ADA

Cameron, N [M] (1994b) 'St Rule's Church, St Andrews, and early stone-built churches in Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.124
Page(s): 375 illus 8 Held at RCAHMS D.4.3.SAK.P

Cowan and Easson, I B and D E (1976) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 81 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS.R

Showing 3 from 17 ...show more
Charity SC026749