St Andrews, South Street, Blackfriars' Chapel

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Dominican Monastery
Site Type CHAPEL
Canmore ID 34336
Site Number NO51NW 5
NGR NO 50764 16565
Council FIFE
Parish ST ANDREWS AND ST LEONARDS
Former Region FIFE
Former District NORTH EAST FIFE
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NO51NW 5.00 50764 16565

REFERENCE:

NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND
'Scots Magazine', Dec 1808, engraving by H W Williams

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NO51NW 5.00 50764 16565

NO51NW 5.01 5075 1654 Monastery

(NO 50751654) Black Friars' Chap (NR) (Remains of)
Black Friars' Monastery (NR) (AD 1274) (Site of).
OS 25" map (1914)

See also St Andrews, South Street, Madras College (NO51NW 273: NO 50773 16438).

The house of Black Friars was founded by Bishop Wishart (1272-1279). The construction of the chapel or aisle (the sole remains) was authorised by Archbishop Beaton in 1525. The house was sacked in June 1559. The remaining portion of the church lies within the grounds of Madras College. It measures internally 26ft N-S by 21ft E-W. It is apsidal-ended and has originally had radial buttresses.
RCAHMS 1933

The remains of the chapel are as described above, and are in a fair state of preservation.
Visited by OS (JLD) 16 October 1956

The condition of the remains of the chapel is unchanged. No trace of the Monastery remains.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 29 May 1964

 
External Links

Scottish Church Heritage Research (SCHR)


 
Books and References

Cowan and Easson, I B and D E (1976) 'Medieval religious houses, Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man', London
Page(s): 119-20 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.COW

Fawcett, R (2002) Scottish medieval churches: architecture and furnishings, Stroud
Page(s): 39, 125-126, 237, 344 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.FAW

Folco, J di (1987) 'A survey of medieval floor tiles in St Andrews Cathedral museum and the Abbot's house, Arbroath Abbey', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.115
Page(s): 289, 291, 292

Showing 3 from 7 ...show more
Charity SC026749