Dunino Parish Church, Churchyard, Sculptured Stone And Sundial

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Cross-Slab
Site Type CROSS SLAB (EARLY MEDIEVAL), SUNDIAL
Canmore ID 34486
Site Number NO51SW 8.02
NGR NO 54090 10908
Council FIFE
Parish DUNINO
Former Region FIFE
Former District NORTH EAST FIFE
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NO51SW 8.02 54090 10908

(NO 5409 1090) Sculptured Stone and SD (NR)
OS 6" map (1919)

The fragment, found while grave-digging, is described and illustrated by Stuart and the Museum Catalogue similarly to Allen and Anderson.
J Stuart 1867; D H Fleming 1931

1903
 REFERENCE

Notes Similar information to Royal Commission, on siting and dimensions. The stone was "sculptured on both faces with crosses in relief, the transverse parts of which have in the centre, a circle round the crossing of two diagonal lines drawn saltire wise from the opposite corners."
Another sculptured fragment found in digging a grave in Dunino churchyard, is said to have broken off from a larger stone which still lies buried. It is a portion of an upright cross-slab (?) of sandstone (broken all round the edges). 11"high, 1'7" wide and 5" thick sculptured in relief on one face with interlaced ornament."
J R Allen and J Anderson 1903

Further details

8 July 1925
 FIELD VISIT

Notes This stone is set with its axis north and south and stands with a distinct inclination to the north. It is 2'6" in height, 1' 11" wide and 1' 3" thick. The sculpturing on its east and west faces has been almost obliterated by weathering. "The top of the stone has been converted into a sundial bearing the date 1698 in incised figures. Another sculptured stone from Dunino is in the Cathedral Museum, St Andrews (No. 456)".
Visited by RCAHMS, 8 July 1925

Further details

16 October 1956
 FIELD VISIT

Notes The sculptured stone in Dunino churchyard is as described by RCAHMS, and as shown by ground photographs.
Visited by OS (DS) 16 October 1956

Further details

26 August 1968
 FIELD VISIT

Notes No change.
Visited by OS (EGC) 26 August 1968

Further details

 
External Links

Scottish Church Heritage Research (SCHR)


 
Books and References

Allen and Anderson, J R and J (1903) The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, Edinburgh
Page(s): 365, 374 fig.383 Held at RCAHMS G.1.11.ALL

Fleming, D H (1931) St Andrews Cathedral Museum, Edinburgh
Page(s): 46, no.57 fig.72 Held at RCAHMS D.4.3.SAP

RCAHMS (1933) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eleventh report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Fife, Kinross, and Clackmannan Edinburgh
Page(s): 130, No.220 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/11

Showing 3 from 4 ...show more
Charity SC026749