Barry, Woodhill House

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Woodhill Mansion
Site Type COUNTRY HOUSE
Canmore ID 34607
Site Number NO53SW 6
NGR NO 52145 34470
Council ANGUS
Parish BARRY
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District ANGUS
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NO53SW 6.00 52145 34470

NO53SW 6.01 5192 3449 Woodhill House, Lodge
NO53SW 6.02 52156 34440 Woodhill House, Sundial
NO53SW 6.03 52127 34561 Woodhill House, Dovecot

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: Sir Robert Lorimer 1907-9 additions and alterations.

(NO 5215 3446) Woodhill mansion is an old building, but its date of erection is uncertain. It was built by the Auchinleck family who were granted the estate in 1532. It is a plain building, and on a slab over the doorway of the courtyard are the initials J K - H F and the date 1700. Over the door of the inner courtyard is a stone bearing the date 1604 and the initials W A - M D. Other datestones at Woodhill - 1752, 1773, and 1704 - are from Carnoustie House. Built into the dovecot (at NO 5212 3455) is another stone bearing the Auchinleck arms and the beginning of a date 16--.
A J Warden 1882

Woodhill House is entirely modern and is dated 1908. No early structure was noted. Some of the stones mentioned by Warden are still to be seen built into the walls of the buildings. The rectangular ruined dovecot is of typical 17th - 18th century date. Its datestone lies on the ground at its base; the date is illegible.
Visited by OS (JLD) 19 May 1958.

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NO53SW 6 52145 34470.

NO 5215 3451 A watching brief was carried out in February 2001 on a development in the grounds of Woodhill House. The present mansion dates to 1908 but this lies directly on the site of a much older building. This watching brief was intended to pick up any remaining traces of the original mansion building, its outbuildings or landscape garden features. In one trench, situated next to the walled garden, a stone-built culvert was uncovered. This was the only archaeological feature recorded. (SUAT CA02).
Sponsor: Mr Geert Derumez.
G Brown 2001.

 
Books and References

Brown, G (2001) 'Woodhill House, Barry, Angus (Barry parish), watching brief', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.2
Page(s): 16

Knight Frank and Rutley ([1987]) Woodhill. by Barry, Angus: [sale particulars], Edinburgh
Page(s): sale brochure Held at RCAHMS D.13.13.WOO.S

Savills (1999) Woodhill House, Barry, Carnoustie, Angus: [sale particulars] Edinburgh
Page(s): sale brochure Held at RCAHMS D.13.13.WOO.S

Showing 3 from 4 ...show more
Charity SC026749