Alternative Names Woodwray
Site Type CROSS SLAB(S) (PICTISH), PICTISH SYMBOL STONE(S) (PICTISH)
Canmore ID 34845
Site Number NO55NW 6.01
NGR NO 5185 5663
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District ANGUS
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NO55NW 6.1 5185 5663
The remains of Woodrae, or Woodwray Castle were cleared away in 1819 when two sculptured cross-slabs with symbols were recovered from the foundation. One of the slabs was lost by 1854, but the other was presented to Sir Walter Scott and is now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) presented by Lt Col Maxwell-Scott of Abbotsford in 1924 (Accession no. IB 202).
It is an upright cross-slab 5'9" high by 3'4" at base tapering to 2'9" at the top by 5" thick. The front bears the cross with interlacing and beasts. The back, divided into two panels, bears symbols, horsemen etc. (This slab is so like those from Aberlemno (NO 522 555) only 1/2 mile away, that it must have come from there.) It had apparently been used as a slab for the kitchen floor.
J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; A Jervise 1859; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1924.
Notes The slab in the museum has metric dimensions of 1.75mx 1m x 0.12m. The front bears an interlaced cross surrounded by beasts; the back is divided into panels containing a galloping horseman, double-disc and step symbols, and the lower panels show horsemen, monsters and beasts.
Information from R Jones 1980.
Notes Class II symbol stone. The cross face bears panels of interlace and fantastic figures, and the reverse, a mounted figure to the left of a double-disc above a step symbol.
A Mack 1997
|Books and References|
Allen and Anderson, J R and J (1903) The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, Edinburgh
Page(s): pt. 3, 242-5 Held at RCAHMS G.1.11.ALL
Jervise, A (1859b) 'Notices descriptive of the localities of certain sculptured stone monuments in Forfarshire, &c. (Part 1)', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.2
PSAS (1924) 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.58