Colliston Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Colliston House
Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 35474
Site Number NO64NW 4
NGR NO 61252 46410
Council ANGUS
Parish ARBROATH AND ST VIGEANS
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District ANGUS
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architects: Hay Henderson & Tarbolton - alterations and resoration 1895.

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NO64NW 4.00 61252 46410

NO64NW 4.01 NO 61188 46519 Stable block
NO64NW 4.02 Centred NO 61379 46389 Walled Garden

(NO 6125 4640) Colliston Castle (NAT)
Tower (NR)
OS 6" map (1970)

Colliston Castle is of the Z-plan, built in 1553 with round towers at the angles, both of which were originally brought out to the square at the top by means of corbelling, but only one retains this feature.
The oblong block measures c. 45' x 24'6". The entrance was in the re-entrant angle of the tower, and is flanked by two shot-holes, but in 1620-1 the entrance doorway was built up and a new entrance was made in the centre of the house. The first floor windows were enlarged, and the walls appear to be heightened, and a new roof put on. The date of the castle, 1553, is carved on the stair turret over the doorway. The new doorway bears the date 1621. The castle was occuped by the Guthries until 1670.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1891

The SW portion of Colliston Castle is of Z-plan and is mainly as described except that the original entrance in the S re-entrant angle is again serving as the principal entrance, and the 1621 entrance is blocked up and a window inserted in its place. All the buildings to the N and E are modern, bearing dates of 1721, 1803, 1893 etc, while the date stones 1583 (not 1553 as stated) and 1621 remain where described. The altered NW tower is surmounted by a plain circular parapet, the walls are harled, and most of the window openings are modern. The building is occupied.
Visited by OS (JLD) 12 June 1958

 
Books and References

MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.4, 51-5 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC

Tranter, N (1962-70) 'The fortified house in Scotland', Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.4, 106-7 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.TRA

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749