Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 35736
Site Number NO65NW 24
NGR NO 62429 55488
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District ANGUS
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NO65NW 24.00 62429 55488
NO65NW 24.01 c. 62429 55479 Sundial
For associated dovecot (NO 62524 55387), see NO65NW 65.
(NO 6243 5548) Farnell Castle (NR)
OS 6" map, (1970)
In existence in 1296 Farnell Castle was a residence of the Bishops of Brechin until it was secularised in 1566. Thereafter it passed through various hands until it came into the possession of the Carnegies, in 1623, with whom it remains.
In 1570 the castle was very dilapidated and was probably rebuilt soon afterwards incorporating the remains. It is now a modern-looking 3 storey building with a circular stairtower, probably a result of a rebuilding, in front. Evidence of its episcopal origin exists in the sculptured shields on the north skewputts.
A J Warden 1880-5; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.
Farnell Castle is as described, a domestic structure in a fair state of preservation. It is occupied.
Visited by OS (J L D) 23 June 1958.
|1 March 2011||PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY|
Notes Photographed by RCAHMS as part of the Listed Buildings Area Survey.
|Books and References|
Deeside Field (1966) The Deeside Fld, 2nd, vol.5
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 2, 501-2 plan, illust Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC
Thomasson, K (ed.) (1963) The Bonnie House of Airlie, [s.l.]
Page(s): 8, 9 Held at RCAHMS D.13.13.AIR