Colonsay, Dun Uragaig

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type FORT
Canmore ID 37824
Site Number NR39NE 1
NGR NR 3816 9826
Council ARGYLL AND BUTE
Parish COLONSAY AND ORONSAY
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District ARGYLL AND BUTE
Former County ARGYLL
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NR39NE 1 3816 9826.

(NR 3820 9823) Dun Uragaig: A promontory fort formed by a 3' high stone wall with a central entrance, spanning the neck thereby isolating an area whose other sides are naturally protected by steep drops. Immediately behind the wall is a cluster of seven huts on the west of the entrance and at least eight on the east. The larger huts are more than 20' in internal diameter; some are circular and some sub-rectangular, with walling about 1' in maximum height and well-defined entrances in some cases. The floor level is very little above natural rock. There is no sign of occupation on the rest of the promontory (visible on aerial photographs RAF/106G/Scot/UK 34: 3004-5, flown 1946).
S Piggott and C M Piggott 1948

The fort consists of a wall 60.0m long and up to 2.5m wide, six outer courses high cutting off a promontory measuring about 180.0m NE-SW by 90.0m. The entrance is 2.0m wide.
Within the interior, six circular and oval huts are located behind the wall, and measure from 4.0m to 6.5m in diameter. There are also several amorphous banks. In the centre of the promontory, two circular platforms possibly represent further hut circles.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (DWR) 16 April 1974

This fort occupies an almost detached rocky promontory with sheer cliffs falling some 30m to the sea; only on the SE is
there access across a narrow neck of land, part of which has collapsed to reveal a cave below. A wall some 2m in
thickness was drawn across the neck along the crest of a rock spine, and several stretches of outer facing-stones survive, the best-preserved section standing to a height of 0.55m in three courses. The entrance is centrally placed. Set immediately behind the wall on each side of the entrance there is a series of hut-foundations, having internal areas about 4m in diameter within walls 1.0m thick. There are indefinite traces of several other foundations within the interior, as well as a small platform (a on the RCAHMS plan), partly scooped into the slope on the N side and measuring some 4m in diameter.
RCAHMS 1984

 
Books and References

Piggott and Piggott, S and C M (1948) 'Field work on Colonsay and Islay, 1944-45', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.80
Page(s): 88 Held at RCAHMS E.7.1.PIG.P

RCAHMS (1984a) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 5: Islay, Jura, Colonsay and Oronsay, Edinburgh
Page(s): 96-7, no. 159 plan, photographic view from SW Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/23

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749