Gigha, Achamore Estate, Achamore House
Alternative Names Island Of Gigha, Auchamore House, Mansion House Of Gigha
Site Type ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT(S), COUNTRY HOUSE
Canmore ID 38541
Site Number NR64NW 30
NGR NR 64273 47866
Council ARGYLL AND BUTE
Parish GIGHA AND CARA
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District ARGYLL AND BUTE
Former County ARGYLL
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Gigha, Achamore House.
OWNER: Sir James Horlick
ARCHITECT: John Honeyman, 1882
|Notes and Activities|
NR64NW 30.00 64273 47866
NR64NW 30.01 NR 64197 47226 Lodge
NR64NW 30.02 NR 64563 47788 Gates
For associated steading (NR 640 476), see NR64NW 32.
Although Achamore House itself was erected only in 1884, a number of earlier chimney-pieces of English provenance have been installed by the present proprietor, Lt-Col. Sir James Horlick, Bt. These comprise two moulded stone fireplaces with flat four-centred arch-heads, dating from the 16th century, and four richly decorated pine chimney-pieces of mid-18th century date.
RCAHMS 1971, visited June 1966.
|Books and References|
Forman, S (1960b) 'House on God's island: Achamore House on the island of Gigha', Scot Fld, vol.107, 685 January
RCAHMS (1971a) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the ancient monuments, volume 1: Kintyre, Edinburgh
Page(s): 207, No. 357 pl. 100A-D Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/18
Savills (1989) The Isle of Gigha: [sale particulars], Edinburgh
Held at RCAHMS D.11.13.GIG.S
Walker, F A (2000) Argyll and Bute, The buildings of Scotland series London
Page(s): 61-2, 66, 259 Held at RCAHMS Quick