Kilmartin, Kilmartin Castle
Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 39515
Site Number NR89NW 7
NGR NR 83569 99122
Council ARGYLL AND BUTE
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District ARGYLL AND BUTE
Former County ARGYLL
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NR89NW 7 83569 99122
(NR 8357 9912) Kilmartin Castle (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6" map, (1924)
Kilmartin Castle, a small late 16th century fortalice, is now roofless and in poor condition. It is of Z-plan consisting of a main block lying N-S with round towers at the NE and SW angles. A small secondary stair-tower also rises part-way along the W front. The walls, which are 3 storeys high, are of local rubble, and contain numerous shot-holes. This castle was the residence of the rector of Kilmartin parish, being later acquired by the Campbells.
N Tranter 1970; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-91.
Visited by OS (I A) 1 May 1973.
As described in the previous information.
Surveyed at 1/2500
Visited by OS (T R G) 11 February 1977.
A watching brief was carried out while rubble was being cleared from the ground floor in advance of renovation. Work concentrated in the kitchen where the barrel vault had collapsed earlier this century. Particular attention was paid to the fireplace which has a water inlet through the outside wall. Unfortunately all that remains of any internal structure associated with this are several flat stones which may have formed the base of a water container or cistern. There does seem to be a possible occupation layer surviving in the fireplace and through into the kitchen although this has been left for future work and is presumeably protected by a thin layer of rubble.
The only finds recovered from the clearance work belong to the 19th and 20th centuries. These consist of pottery, window and bottle glass, clay pipes, two iron sickles and a bone four-hole shirt button.
Sponsor: T Clarke (owner)
R Will 1991.
Information from Historic Scotland, 23 June 2000.
|Books and References|
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 4, 31-3 plan Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC
Tranter, N (1962-70) 'The fortified house in Scotland', Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 5, 32-3 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.TRA
Will, R (1991b) 'Kilmartin Castle (Kilmartin parish)', Discovery Excav Scot