Lewis, Valtos School
Site Type BURIAL (VIKING), BROOCH(S) (TORTOISESHELL)(VIKING)
Canmore ID 4001
Site Number NB03NE 1
NGR NB 0855 3635
Council WESTERN ISLES
Former Region WESTERN ISLES ISLANDS AREA
Former District WESTERN ISLES
Former County ROSS AND CROMARTY
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NB03NE 1 0855 3635.
(NB 0855 3635) Viking Burial found AD 1915 (NAT)
OS 6"map, (1965)
A 9th century Viking burial, accompanied by ornaments, including two tortoise brooches, and weapons, was found by school-children beneath a small sand mound about 150 yards west of Valtos school in April 1915. The burial lay 1 1/2' to 2' below the original surface and was exposed by the cutting away of the mound by cultivation.
The finds were presented to the Nicholson Institute, Stornoway, in whose museum there is also a pin of a bronze penannular brooch found near the site and which presumably belongs to the burial.
A belt mound was subsequently donated in 1934 to the National Museum of Antiquties of Scotland (NMAS).
D J Macleod 1916; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1934.
The site marked on OS 6"map,(1965) is incorrect, being on a very steep slope below the road. It is apparently derived from the description "150 yds to the W of the school" which is obviously an approximation. The find was apparently made in an area centred NB 085 363, in a cultivated patch about 60.0m to the N of the road, and to the S of the alleged dun (NB03NE 9), but there is no local knowledge of the exact find spot.
Visited by OS (R L) 27 June 1969.
Notes This project indicates that the record to which it is linked is within, or near the boundary, of an area managed by a SURE partner.
Information from RCAHMS (SH) 24th January 2014
|Books and References|
Armit, I (1994) 'Archaeological field survey of the Bhaltos (Valtos) peninsula, Lewis', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.124
Page(s): No.14, 82, 83
Macleod, D J (1916) 'An account of a find of ornaments of the Viking time from Valtos, Uig, in the Island of Lewis', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.50
Page(s): 184 fig. 1
PSAS (1934) 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.68
Page(s): 97 429, fig. 5; 430, fig. 1