Alternative Names Pladda Light; Arran; Kilbrannan Sound; Firth Of Clyde
Site Type LIGHTHOUSE
Canmore ID 40074
Site Number NS01NW 2
NGR NS 02757 19003
Council NORTH AYRSHIRE
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CUNNINGHAME
Former County BUTESHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS01NW 2.00 02757 19003
OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.
Location formerly entered as NS 0276 1899 .
NS01NW 2.01 NS 02778 19013 Keepers' Houses
NS01NW 2.02 NS 02767 18992 Fog Horn
This lighthouse and its ancillary buildings stand at the S end of Pladda, from where it guards the southern entrances to bot Kilbrannan Sound (to the W) and the Firth of Clyde (to the E). A lighthouse was constructed on Pladda (apparently at this location) in 1790, and was one of five rebuilt between 1821 and 1830 in accordance with the Commissioners of Northern Lights' 'national establishment' policy. Robert Selkirk was in charge of the works.
Trials of paraffin oil illumination were conducted at Pladda after 1870, and a foghorn (presumably that entered as NS01NW 2) was installed after 1876. The (vertically-superimposed) 'double lights' formerly fitted were replaced by a powerful group flashing system in 1901.
The light was automated in 1990.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 12 July 2010.
R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce 1998.
Notes Light established in 1790.
K Allardyce 1998
Notes Automated in 1990.
K Allardyce 1998
|Books and References|
Allardyce and Hood, K and E M (1986) At Scotland's edge: a celebration of two hundred years of the lighthouse service in Scotland and the Isle of Man, Glasgow
Page(s): 19, 38, 155 map. p. 154 Held at RCAHMS J.6.4.ALL
Allardyce, K (1998) Scotland's edge revisited, Glasgow
Page(s): 36-7 Held at RCAHMS J.6.4.ALL
Hill, P (2003) Stargazing: memoirs of a young lighthouse keeper, Edinburgh
Page(s): passim. esp. 45-185