Site Type CHAPEL
Canmore ID 40456
Site Number NS07NW 2
NGR NS 0210 7645
Council ARGYLL AND BUTE
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District ARGYLL AND BUTE
Former County ARGYLL
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS07NW 2 0210 7645.
(NS 0210 7644) Chapel (NR) (Ruins)
OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)
The remains of a small building known to have been a church (sic). A small level area to the N and E was the associated burial ground. Although looked upon as an antiquity, there is no tradition regarding it.
Name Book 1863.
Listed an an "ancient Catholic Chapel".
Argyll County Council 1914.
The walls of this chapel, though tumbled, are quite obvious. There is a well near the chapel (NS07NW 3) and also surrounding garth walls.
M Paterson 1970.
The remains of a sub-rectangular building (probably the chapel) measuring 5.2m NE-SW by 3.5m with rounded corners on the W and S sides. The walls are about 1m in height and thickness with an entrance 0.8m wide on the SE side. The building is enclosed by a turf-covered earth-and-stone bank 1.5m high with an entrance in the W.
Visited by OS (I A) 24 November 1972.
NS 0210 7644. The remains of a probable chapel as described in the field report of 24 11 72. The enclosing wall measures 15.0m N-S by 10.0m
Surveyed at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (B S) 14 October 1976.
The remains of this chapel are situated at an elevation of 100m OD in a south-facing valley 400m E of Fearnoch farmhouse and some 550m from the E shore of Loch Riddon. It occupies the confined summit of a low rocky ridge to whose alignment it conforms, measuring 5.2m from NE to SW by 3.6m within walls up to 1.5m in thickness. These stand to a height of about 1m and in the upper part are of loose drystone rubble, probably indicating an agricultural re-use of the building, associated with adjacent turf field-dykes. The lower parts of the walls are of older construction and the plan of the building, with its entrance towards the SW end of the SE wall, supports its traditional identification as an early chapel. The chapel stands in an enclosure measuring about 15m from NE to SW by 10m within a turf-and-stone boundary-wall having an entrance at the S angle.
RCAHMS 1992, visited March 1987
|Books and References|
County Council of Argyll (1914) List of ancient monuments and historic buildings in the county of Argyll, [s.l.]
Page(s): 19. Held at RCAHMS D.11.11.COU
Ordnance Survey (Name Book) Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey (6 inch and 1/2500 scale)
Page(s): Book No. 58, No. 74 Held at RCAHMS Ref
Paterson, B (2004) Colintraive and Glendaruel: a small country, Edinburgh
Page(s): 75. Held at RCAHMS D.11.13.COL.P