Skelmorlie Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Skelmorlie Castle And Courtyard Buildings
Site Type CASTLE, COUNTRY HOUSE
Canmore ID 40697
Site Number NS16NE 4
NGR NS 19524 65838
Council NORTH AYRSHIRE
Parish LARGS
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CUNNINGHAME
Former County AYRSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:
Built 1502. Restored and extended 1852.
Plans of 1864 and 1856 (copies of drawings) additions at Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr.
(Undated) information in NMRS.


Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NS16NE 4 19524 65838

(NS 1951 6585) Skelmorlie Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1969)

According to the OSA, Skelmorlie Castle was built in 1502, and added to in 1636. In 1852 it was restored and incorporated into a large mansion. What remained of the old keep and a tower which formed part of the courtyard containing the offices, were preserved. The keep is a simple oblong, 48 1/2ft by 30ft and 29ft high to the eaves.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; Name Book 1856

Skelmorlie Castle (name confirmed by secretary of R Wilson and Sons Ltd). The massive keep occupies the NE corner of this extensive modern mansion. It has been completely restored and is well preserved. An original angle-turret remains, but windows and chimneys hae been added at a later date. The courtyard is now surrounded on three sides by modern buildings. The castle is owned by Lord Eglinton, and leased to R Wilson and Sons (Food Industries) Ltd.
Visited by OS (JLD) 20 September 1956

The castle was partly destroyed by fire and renovated in 1960, the modern mansion has been largely demolished and the old tower restored approximately to its original appearance.
SDD List 1963; N Tranter 1965

As described, and in excellent external repair. The 19th century NW wing is entirely demolished.
Visited by OS (JRL) 28 February 1983.

 
Books and References

MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.3, 173-83 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC

Millar, A H (1885a) The castles and mansions of Ayrshire illustrated in seventy views with historical and descriptive accounts, Edinburgh
Held at RCAHMS D.11.21.MIL.R

OSA (1791-9) The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes, in Sinclair, J (Sir) Edinburgh
Held at RCAHMS B.2.2.STA

Showing 3 from 6 ...show more
Charity SC026749