Largs, Green Hill

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names 'Motte'
Site Type MERIDIAN MARKER, MOUNT
Canmore ID 41187
Site Number NS25NW 7
NGR NS 2073 5932
Council NORTH AYRSHIRE
Parish LARGS
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CUNNINGHAME
Former County AYRSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NS25NW 7 2073 5932.

(NS 2073 5932) Green Hill (NAT) Motte (NR)
OS 25" map (1972)

Though Green Hill was earlier thought to be a Viking burial mound, it is now recognised as a motte (V G Childe and A Graham 1943). It is about 16ft high, and is separated from rising ground to the N by a ditch. Its summit has been much interfered with and bears three modern masonry columns (called 'The Three Sisters' on OS 25" plan) said to have been erected by the astronomer Brisbane for mathematical purposes (J Smith 1895); it seems to have once been level and may have measured about 35ft by 20ft.
F H Groome 1901

Green Hill is a steep-sided, sub-oval mound, measuring about 12.0m by 7.0m across its flat top, upon which stand three masonry columns, each 1.0m square. On the NW is a depression, 5.0m wide and 1.0m deep, which may represent the end of a ditch. This is obliterated to the N by gardens. Where turf has been removed from the sides of the mound, a construction of earth and small stones is exposed.
Visited by OS (DS) 20 September 1956

No change to previous field report.
Revised at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 27 October 1964

This tree-planted and scrub-covered mound, about 6m high on its S side, is generally as described. Hemmed in by development, no overall view of its form is possible and its N side is now completely fenced off and hidden by scrub. Minor erosions show gravel bands on its W and S sides and the general contours of the area suggest it is likely to be entirely natural. There is no visible evidence to support this as a motte. A plaque states that the observatory pillars were erected in 1808.
Visited by OS (JRL) 2 February 1983

13 September 1942
 FIELD VISIT

Project Emergency Surveys

Notes Description

Further details

 
Books and References

Childe and Graham, V G and A (1943) 'Some notable prehistoric and medieval monuments recently examined by The Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.77
Page(s): 45

Groome, F H (ed.) (1901) Ordnance gazetteer of Scotland, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): 1031 Held at RCAHMS B.2.GRO

RCAHMS (1942-3) Emergency Survey. 2v. Typescripts
Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.SUR

Showing 3 from 4 ...show more
Charity SC026749