Site Type BUILDING(S)
Canmore ID 4129
Site Number NB14SW 1
NGR NB 121 425
Council WESTERN ISLES
Former Region WESTERN ISLES ISLANDS AREA
Former District WESTERN ISLES
Former County ROSS AND CROMARTY
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NB14SW 1 121 425.
(Area: NB 121 425) The foundations of a few houses close together remain on Bearasay, which was the stronghold of Neil Macleod for three years before his execution in April 1613.
RCAHMS 1928; R Gordon 1813.
Tradition still known locally. Island inaccessible at time of investigation.
Visited by OS (N K B) 22 June 1969.
Five unroofed buildings, one of which is T-shaped, are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 11). The T-shaped unroofed building and three unroofed structure which may represent buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1972).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 4 July 1997.
|Books and References|
Coventry, M (2001) The castles of Scotland Musselburgh
Page(s): 83 Held at RCAHMS F.5.2.COV
Gordon, R (1813) Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland - 1630-1813,
RCAHMS (1928) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles, Edinburgh
Page(s): 30, No. 104 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV(9)