'Martnaham Castle'

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type CASTLE, COUNTRY HOUSE
Canmore ID 41582
Site Number NS31NE 4
NGR NS 3952 1732
Council EAST AYRSHIRE
Parish DALRYMPLE (CUMNOCK AND DOON VALLEY)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CUMNOCK AND DOON VALLEY
Former County AYRSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NS31NE 4 3952 1732.

(NS 3952 1732) Martnaham Castle (NR) (remains of)
OS 1:10000 map (1981)

The ruins of an old castle built on an island near the centre of Martinham (sic) Loch. The entrance to it has been from the S side of the loch, formed by an embankment from the land to the island. The walls are from 4ft to 10ft high. It is not known when it was erected (Name Book 1856).
'The principal mansion of Martnam (sic) situated in the lake...' (Gavin Ros Protocols, April 1523, No.649) was inhabited till the 16th century. W J Dillon 1955

The crumbling remains of a large building, 21m by 7.5m. Abutting on the NE, the foundations of an annexe, 12m by 5m, can be traced in the grass. The main block is divided into three compartments, and the walls are of mortared rubble masonry, 0.8m thick, and attain a maximum height of 2.0m. Architectural features (remains of doors, windows, walls etc) indicate the building as being of 16th/17th century date.
Visited by OS (JLD) 12 December 1955

The course of the courtyard wall can be traced on the NE of the island in the form of a grass-covered bank; and along the side of the loch on the S and SE as a scatter of stones. The stone-built causeway leading to the castle is 84.0m long and 4.0m wide.
Turf-covered foundations of a possible rectangular building, 15.0m by 6.0m, at the approach to the causeway may indicate the presence of a gatehouse.
Visited by OS (JLD) 12 December 1955

Martnaham Castle, heavily overgrown and in the last stages of decay, is generally as described above. The courtyard wall and the foundations of the possible rectangular building are now too vague for survey or identification.
Revised at 1:2500.

The remains of the castle are still overgrown. The remaining walls stand to a height of 1.7m but the window and door frames have been removed.
Visited by OS (MJF) 24 September 1980

 
Books and References

Dillon, W J (1954) 'The origins of feudal Ayrshire', Ayrshire Archaeol Natur Hist Collect, 2nd, vol.3
Page(s): 73

Ordnance Survey (Name Book) Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey (6 inch and 1/2500 scale). Held at RCAHMS on micro fiche.
Page(s): Book No.22, 19 Held at RCAHMS Ref

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749