Prestwick, Market Cross
Alternative Names Mercat Cross
Site Type MARKET CROSS
Canmore ID 41703
Site Number NS32NE 5
NGR NS 35175 26176
Council SOUTH AYRSHIRE
Parish MONKTON AND PRESTWICK
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District KYLE AND CARRICK
Former County AYRSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS31NE 2 35175 26176
(NS 3622 2622) Cross (NR) (remains of)
OS 25" map (1959)
The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey describes The Cross in the following way 'Consists of flight of steps rising gradually above one another to the height of 41/2 feet, in the form of a pyramid. The base is about 8 feet square and the top which consts of four flat stones is four feet square and supports an erect stone pillar 7 feet high on which is inscribed the following words "Prestwick Rebuilt 1776". Its precise date of erection is now unknown although no doubt it is of ancient date'.
Name Book 1856
Prestwick market cross is first mentioned in the Burgh Records in 1473, when it is referred to as broken. It was rebuilt in 1777 and occupies a prominent site in front of the Council Chambers, close by the road (K Hewat 1908).
J W Small 1900
This cross comprises a plain octagonal shaft, surmounted by a stone ball, and mounted on a pedestal of four steps and a base. The capital is inscribed "Prestwick Mercat Cross Rebuilt 1777". The shaft may originate from this date, but the much weathered base and steps are certainly much older. The whole stands about 3.0m high and the base is 2.5m square. It was not ascertained if this was the original site.
Visited by OS (JLD) 10 May 1954.
Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28466- DC28469, 1963.
(Undated) information in NMRS.
NS 3517 2616. As described. A plaque at the base of the stepped pedestal states "This ancient Mercat Cross dates from before the 15th century and formerly stood at the east end of Kirk Street (NS 3522 2622). It was moved to its present site in 1963".
Visited by OS (JRL) 4 November 1980
Prestwick was a demesne burgh of Walter FitzAlan (d. 1177). A mill is on record in 1368 and the market cross (NS 3622 2622) in 1473. See also NS32NE 4.
New Statistical Account 1845; J Paterson 1863-6; W Macfarlane 1906-8; G S Pryde 1957; J Strawhorn 1959; G S Pryde 1965; RCAHMS 1985.
|Books and References|
Hewat, K (1894) A little Scottish world as revealed in the annals of an ancient Ayrshire parish [Monkton and Prestwick], Kilmarnock
Page(s): 23-4 Held at RCAHMS D.11.22.MON
Macfarlane, W (1906-8) Geographical collections relating to Scotland, in Mitchell, A and Clark, J T 3v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 1, 410 Held at RCAHMS D.20.MAC.R
NSA (1834-1845) The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, 15v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 5, 174, 176 Held at RCAHMS B.2.2.STA