Irvine, Eglinton Country Park, Eglinton Castle
Alternative Names Eglinton Park; Eglinton House Policies
Site Type CASTLE, COUNTRY HOUSE
Canmore ID 42076
Site Number NS34SW 11
NGR NS 32274 42206
Council NORTH AYRSHIRE
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CUNNINGHAME
Former County AYRSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS34SW 11 32274 42206
(NS 32274 42206) Remains of Eglinton Castle (NAT)
on site of Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1971).
NS34SW 34.00 NS 31086 42320 Kilwinning Gates
NS34SW 34.01 NS 31086 42310 Kilwinning Lodge
NS34SW 35 NS 31809 42175 Park Bridge
NS34SW 37 NS 31336 42321 Eglinton House
NS34SW 66.00 Centred NS 32061 42399 Eglinton Country Park
NS34SW 66.01 NS 31969 42103 Stables
NS34SW 66.02 NS 32068 42247 Tournament Bridge
NS34SW 66.03 NS 31963 42208 Formal Garden
NS34SW 66.04 NS 31321 42033 Lady Jane's Cottage
NS34SW 66.05 NS 31495 41380 Redburn Gates
NS34SW 66.06 NS 32007 41879 Belvidere Gates
NS34SW 66.07 NS 31644 42162 Walled Kitchen Garden with Gazebos
NS34SW 66.08 NS 31963 42472 Fish Pond
ARCHITECT: John Paterson, 1797 (tradition) John Baxter 1777 - Redburn Gateway & lodges
David Hamilton - iron bridge John Baxter 1775 - design for new castle - to add to old
Tweedie - landscape gardens finished 1801
Plans: David Hamilton Drawings. Vol. 2. p.277 & p.279 - photohstat elevation of 1st design for the
iron bridge and detail of pier and gateway
Eglinton Castle which was Category B Listed was gutted in the 1930s and blown up, with the exception of the central tower, later. Information from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS library.
Ayrshire Agricultural Report 1811 - engravings of house and bridge.
Swan's Views Vol. 1 page 20 1 engraving.
Scottish Record Office:
New fireplace. Design for engraved mirrord. designfor mantelpiece.
Initialled. AR. ?
Papers in court action against the Earl of Eglington for non-payment of accounts.
for work carried out between 1797- 1806. Brought in 1823 by John Paterson.
(3 bundles of legal papers in GD3 (Paterson Papers). Inf from Dr Margaret Sanderson).
gives lists of craftsmen etc.
Building and repairs.
Ledger includes sums paid to masons, slaters, plumbers, plasterers and painters.
1910- 21 GD3/8542
Mason work at Eglington Castle, offices, gardens and Large Cascade.
David Andrew - mason
1835 GD3/ E2061/7628
Repair to the Cascade below Eglinton Castle. Mason's discharged account.
(Undated) information in NMRS.
Eglinton Castle is modern, having been completed in 1802, when the old castle was wholly demolished. This earlier castle, the chief seat of the Montgomeries, was burned by the Cuninghames of Glencairn in 1528.
A H Millar 1885; R Bryden 1908.
After having been made uninhabitable by Commandos during the war, Eglinton Castle was blown up in the 1950's.
H Fenwick 1976.
Eglinton Castle is now a complete ruin and a perambulation of the shell of the building revealed no evidence of any early work.
Visited by OS (JLD) 4 September 1956
No change to the previous field report. The ruin now forms part of a public park.
Visited by OS (JRL) 20 August 1982.
|Books and References|
Adam, W (1812) Vitruvius Scoticus: being a collection of plans, elevations, and sections of public buildings, noblemen's and gentlemen's houses in Scotland: principally from the designs of the late William Adam Esq., architect, Edinburgh
Page(s): plate 123
Anon (1916) The House of Montgomerie and its Chiefs, (Eglinton Castle) Scot Country Life, vol.3, 10 October
Anon (1921) Canadian Highlanders' Boat-Song, (Eglinton Castle) Scot Country Life, vol.8, 5 May