Dumbarton, 81 High Street, Glencairn Tenement
Alternative Names Earl Of Glencairn's Greit House; Gas Board Offices; Glencairn Creit Tenement
Site Type TENEMENT
Canmore ID 42350
Site Number NS37NE 13
NGR NS 39512 75220
Council WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District DUMBARTON
Former County DUNBARTONSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS37NE 13 39512 75220.
(NS 3950 7522) At the Cross in High Street, and looking up College Street, stands the oldest building in the burgh - the 'Earl of Glencairn's Greit House', built in 1623. This building has dormer windows, which are very fine specimens of early architecture. In 1923 it was acquired by the Town Council and scheduled as an ancient monument. Its architectural features have been preserved.
Greit House is a typical 17th century town building. Large windows have been inserted in the ground floor which is now a gas showroom.
Visited by OS (DS) 3 October 1956.
|Books and References|
Dennison and Coleman, E P and R (1999b) Historic Dumbarton: the archaeological implications of development, The Scottish burgh survey series Edinburgh
Page(s): 28, 54, 81 Fig. 13 Held at RCAHMS D.11.43.DEN
Dumbarton (1954) Official Guide
MacLeod, D (1893) Dumbarton ancient and modern, Glasgow; Dumbarton
Held at RCAHMS D.11.43.DUM.R