Finlaystone House

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type CASTLE, COUNTRY HOUSE
Canmore ID 42414
Site Number NS37SE 3
NGR NS 36458 73717
Council INVERCLYDE
Parish KILMACOLM
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District INVERCLYDE
Former County RENFREWSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Gen. Sir Gordon MacMillan
Architect: Sir J.J. Burnet, 20th c, remodelling of 18th c house (c.1760) which possibly itself contained some earlier work
Sir J.J. Burnet c. 1893 ( alterations and additions)




EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office

Contract between the Rt. Hon. William Earl of Glencairn and architect John Douglas to build 'towards the west end of the N. front of the present house of finlaystone a new house of 3 storeys'.
1746 GD39/6/Box 3

Description of house and grounds. Letter from ' Jackie' Clerk to her father Sir John Clerk.
1751 GD18/5474/2

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NS37SE 3.00 36458 73717

NS37SE 3.01 37410 73527 East Lodge
NS37SE 3.02 Centred c. 3645 7366 Sundials

(NS 3645 7370) Finlaystone House (NAT) on site of Finlaystone Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1919)

Though the New Statistical Account [NSA] states that Finlaystone House occupies the site of the earlier Finlaystone Castle (described by Crawford as "a noble and great building, round a court") Name Book (1856), SDD List (1963) and A H Millar (1889) all state that part of the castle is incorporated in the present mansion.
In 1856 it is stated "the slightly projected portion seen on the east side and continuous through to the west is the oldest part of the building (said to be of late 15th century date, according to Millar); the north and south wings are of recent construction. A considerable part of the building has been removed during few years".
The SDD describe the present Finlaystone House as a three storeyed mansion, with attic dormers and large circular towers at the corners. The major part was probably erected about 1760 around an early nucleus, but about 1893, it was extensively altered and added to by Sir J J Burnet.
Finlaystone belonged to the Dennistons in the latter half of the 14th century; it passed through marriage to the Cunninghames in 1404, and the barony was held by the Earls of Glencairn till the title became dormant in 1796.
NSA 1845; Orig Paroch Scot 1851; G Crawfurd and W Semple 1782; W Macfarlane 1907

Finlaystone House: name confirmed (Gen Sir Gordon McMillan, owner). The oldest part of the house is the N wing, at present used as residential quarters. It has had a modern porch built on, and the upper storey has been added to. The S part of the house is modern.
Visited by OS (JD) 25 July 1955

25 July 1955
 FIELD VISIT

Notes Finlaystone House: name confirmed (Gen Sir Gordon McMillan, owner). The oldest part of the house is the N wing, at present used as residential quarters. It has had a modern porch built on, and the upper storey has been added to. The S part of the house is modern.
Visited by OS (JD) 25 July 1955

Further details

12 December 1979
 DESK BASED ASSESSMENT

Notes (NS 3645 7370) Finlaystone House (NAT) on site of Finlaystone Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1919)

Though the New Statistical Account [NSA] states that Finlaystone House occupies the site of the earlier Finlaystone Castle (described by Crawford as "a noble and great building, round a court") Name Book (1856), SDD List (1963) and A H Millar (1889) all state that part of the castle is incorporated in the present mansion.
In 1856 it is stated "the slightly projected portion seen on the east side and continuous through to the west is the oldest part of the building (said to be of late 15th century date, according to Millar); the north and south wings are of recent construction. A considerable part of the building has been removed during few years".
The SDD describe the present Finlaystone House as a three storeyed mansion, with attic dormers and large circular towers at the corners. The major part was probably erected about 1760 around an early nucleus, but about 1893, it was extensively altered and added to by Sir J J Burnet.
Finlaystone belonged to the Dennistons in the latter half of the 14th century; it passed through marriage to the Cunninghames in 1404, and the barony was held by the Earls of Glencairn till the title became dormant in 1796.
Information from OS (IF) 13 December 1979
NSA 1845; Orig Paroch Scot 1851; G Crawfurd and W Semple 1782; W Macfarlane 1907

Further details

 
Books and References

Crawfurd and Semple, G and W (1782) History of the shire of Renfrew,

Harris, D (1928) 'Wayside and Woodland Galls', in Eyre-Todd, G Scot Country Life January
Page(s): 20

Macfarlane, W (1906-8) Geographical collections relating to Scotland, in Mitchell, A and Clark, J T 3v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.2, 204 Held at RCAHMS D.20.MAC.R

Showing 3 from 9 ...show more
Charity SC026749