Inchinnan, Old Parish Church And Graveyard
Alternative Names All Hallows Church; St Conval's
Site Type BURIAL GROUND, CHURCH
Canmore ID 43063
Site Number NS46NE 11
NGR NS 4904 6803
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District RENFREW
Former County RENFREWSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
ARCHITECT: Sir Robert Rowand Anderson 1899-1904
Brass eagle lectern - designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson.
St Conval's Church - 1) Demolished 1828
2) Built 1828. Demolished 1902.
3) Demolished in 1965/66 (Category A Listed). Information from NMRS Demolitions catalogue.
Scottish National Records Office
Inchinnan. Repair of the Church.
Notes concerning materials to be ordered and mason, slater and sarking work to be done.
1711 GD 220/6/610/16
|Notes and Activities|
NS46NE 11 4904 6803.
For Inchinnan New Parish Churh, see NS46NE 7.00
(NS 4904 6803) Inchinnan parish church (dedicated to St Conval) was given to the Knights Templar by David I (1124-53). It was demolished in 1828 and replaced by another which in turn was demolished and replaced in 1900 by All Hallows Church. In 1965, this church was demolished to allow the extension of the airfield at Abbotsinch. In the churchyard are four tombstones with sloping sides, sculptured with swords, locally called the Templar's Graves. (See also NS46NE 7.01 for Early Christian stones).
New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Orig Paroch Scot 1851; R McClelland 1905; C A R Radford 1967.
Inchinnan, with its Early Christian stones, must posses considerable claim to having had a status comparable with an English Minster, at that period. (Shown on map as an early ecclesiastical site of an indeterminate nature).
P McNeill and R Nicholson 1975
A cross-marked nodule of quartze found at this church site in 1976 is in the Hunterian Museum, Glasgow. Other items, viz a green-glazed pottery disc bearing a Maltese cross, a pierced pewter disc with a lion and unicorn, and a granite ball 75mm in diameter with an eye for a chain, found here in 1977 are in the possession of D A Cunningham.
DES 1976; DES 1977.
Inchinnan Church was built about 1903 in Gothic Revival style.
SDD List 1963.
All Hallows Church, Inchinnan was built in 1904. Full description given by McClelland.
R McClelland 1905
|11 October 2010 to 25 October 2010||WATCHING BRIEF|
Notes NS 4910 6810 A watching brief was carried out 11–25 October 2010 during the replacement of lighting and the construction of new fencing in and around the scheduled area surrounding All Hallows Church to the NE of the runway at Glasgow Airport.
The tracks required for new electrical cables and two new light bases were hand and machine excavated. No significant archaeological features were recorded in any of the excavated areas. No artefacts, other than ones relating to 20th-century use of the site, were observed. The quantity of made ground uncovered outside the boundary suggest that any potential archaeological remains have been removed by past levelling and landscaping work. The partially upstanding remains of the church and several fallen gravestones were still evident within the graveyard.
Archive: RCAHMS. Report: WoSAS
Funder: BAA Glasgow Airport
Alan Matthews – Rathmell Archaeology Limited
|Books and References|
DES (1976) 'Small finds', Discovery Excav Scot
DES (1977b) 'Small finds', Discovery Excav Scot
McClelland, R (1905) The church and parish of Inchinnan: a brief history, Paisley
Page(s): 70-94 Held at RCAHMS D.11.62.INC
McNeill and Nicholson, P and R (eds.) (1975) An historical atlas of Scotland c.400 - c.1600, St. Andrews
Page(s): 18, 129 Held at RCAHMS C.2.1.MCN
NSA (1834-1845) The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, 15v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.7 (Renfrew), 123-4 Held at RCAHMS B.2.2.STA
OPS (1851) Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland,, vol.1 Edinburgh
Page(s): 78 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.BAN
Radford, C A R (1967) 'The early christian monuments at Govan and Inchinnan', Trans Glasgow Archaeol Soc, vol.15, 4
Page(s): 181-3 Held at RCAHMS D.12.41.GOV.P
SDD (1960-) List of Buildings of Architectural or Historical Interest, (Lists held in Architectural Department of RCAHMS) Scottish Development DepartmentShowing 8 from 8 ...show less