Alternative Names Abbey Close, Paisley Abbey; Abercorn Aisle
Site Type ABBEY
Canmore ID 43139
Site Number NS46SE 2
NGR NS 48559 63954
Parish PAISLEY (RENFREW)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District RENFREW
Former County RENFREWSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Architect: Sir Robert Lorimer 1923-8 (restoration)
Dr Peter McGregor Chalmers (restoration) - choir stalls and cloister begun 1912
Wm McDowall. Marble by Flaxman executed by Wm Gowans 1810
N Transept gable partially restored by Jas. Salmon, architect of Glasgow 1862
NMRS Printroom - Inglis Photograph Collection Acc No 1994/90
Interior restoration by Robert Lorimer:
the chancel seen from the crossing
communion table 'Sanctus'
chancel ceiling, including organ
lantern at screen
detail of organ case - studio photograph
NMRS Printroom - Rev John Sime Collection Acc No 1993/144
Pencil plan dated 2 Sept 1816
LOR/P/1/5/4 previously numbered as NMRS/SpC/LOR/Printroom/121
Repair of the Church of Paisley
Payment of #28.11.4 (Scots) as the Duke of Montrose's proportion of the cost. Cash Book.
1733 GD 220/6/32/Page 660
Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28434, 1909.
Repair of the roof and glass of the Church is done but the Duke of Montrose has not yet paid his share of the cost. Letter from Robert Millar, Minister of Paisley Abbey, to John Graham, Chamberlain to the Duke of Montrose.
1727 GD 220/5/1049/5
National Library: Water Colour sketches, Series of, by Thomas Brown, Avocate. Vol. II, No 2 - 1 sketch
|Notes and Activities|
NS46SE 2.00 48559 63954
NS46SE 2.01 48537 63916 Place of Paisley (manse)
NS46SE 2.02 485 639 St Mirin's Church
NS46SE 2.03 485 638 abbey wall
NS46SE 2.04 485 638 Barochan Cross (see also NS46NW 1)
NS46SE 2.05 4849 6388 to 4858 6388 drain
NS46SE 2.06 485 639 Abbey Close trial excavation
NS46SE 2.07 484 638 trial excavations
For Barochan Cross (NS46NW 1: under guardianship in Paisley Abbey), see NS46SE 2.04.
The Abbey (NR)
OS 6" map (1911)
(NS 4855 6395) The Abbey (NAT)
OS 1:10000 map (1973)
The Clunic Abbey of Paisley was founded as a priory between 1161-4, probably 1163, at Renfrew (see NS56NW 16) moving to Paisley about 1169. It was erected into an abbey in 1219. The abbey was burned by the English in 1307, and again by Reformers in 1561; it was secularised in 1587.
I B Cowan and D E Easson 1976
The original conventual buildings have been altered and absorbed in later work, but the cloister court survives as a garden, the N and E alleys have been restored, and the church continues in use. It dates from a mid-15th century restoration, but includes the original late 12th century E processional doorway and a 13th century great W doorway. The aisled nave is complete and the well-preserved chapel of St Mirin projects E from the S transept. The church was fully restored at the beginning of this century (S Cruden 1960).
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897; H R Howell 1936
Dates : S wall of nave, about 1190; W bay of nave, 13th century; remainder 15th century. Restoration and additions: nave 1788-8, nave and partial repair of transepts 1859-62; transepts, lower part of central tower 1912 onwards; vault of choir and central tower completed 1924-8; cloisters completed 1915.
SDD List 1963
A small, pierced stone 35mm in diameter, inscribed with a cross, found at Paisley Abbey is in the possession of Norma A Cunningham.
NS 485 639 Phase V of the restoration of Paisley Abbey included the removal, restoration and reinsertion of certain stained glass windows in the N and S aisles and N transept of the abbey. The archaeological works in December 2003 consisted of a watching brief to record any disturbance to the medieval fabric or below-ground archaeology. Evidence of earlier window glass was retrieved, and the remains of the 1879 E window from the St Mirin Chapel were recovered and boxed for storage.
Report lodged with WoSAS SMR and the NMRS.
Sponsors: HS, HLF.
C Evans 2003
|4 September 2010 to 13 September 2010||EXCAVATION|
Notes NS 4849 6388 A limited excavation was carried out 4–13
September 2010 on the site of a major medieval drain at
Paisley Abbey. This work followed on from previous work
in 2009 to investigate the construction of the drain and the
deposits surrounding it. Although deep demolition layers
and recent levelling deposits were recorded over most of
the trench, there were areas of undisturbed archaeological
deposits. The remains of a stone foundation uncovered to
the N of the trench could be part of the monastic precinct. In
addition to possible medieval structures, more recent deposits
relating to the buildings and tenements that occupied the site
in the 19th and early 20th centuries were also recorded.
Volunteers from the Renfrew Local History Forum took part
in the excavation.
Archive: RCAHMS. Report: RCAHMS and WoSAS
Funder: Renfrewshire Council Paisley North Local Area Committee,
the Scottish Community Foundation and Historic Scotland
|Books and References|
Anderson, R R (1901) Notes on Paisley Abbey, [s.l.] (Glasgow)
Held at RCAHMS D.11.63.PAK.P
Browne, G W (1887) Pugin Studentship drawings: being a selection from sketches, measured drawings and details of domestic and ecclesiastical buildings in England and Scotland drawn while Pugin Travelling Student of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1876, together with a number of the drawings for which the Studentship of the year was awarded, Edinburgh
Held at RCAHMS D.2.L.R
Crawfurd and Robertson, G and G (1818) A general description of the shire of Renfrew, including an account of the noble and ancient families who, from earliest times, have had property in that county, and the most remarkable facts in the lives of distinguished individuals: to which is added a geneological history of the Royal House of Stewart, and of the several noble and illustrious families of that name, from the year 1034 to the year 1710: collected from public records, chartularies of monasteries, and the best historians and private MSS. Paisley
Held at RCAHMS D.11.6.CRA.R