Alternative Names Mains Castle
Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 43404
Site Number NS48NE 1
NGR NS 45500 87716
Council WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE
Parish KILMARONOCK (DUMBARTON)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District DUMBARTON
Former County DUNBARTONSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS48NE 1 45500 87716
(NS 4550 8770) Kilmaronock Castle (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6" map, Dunbartonshire, 2nd ed., (1922)
The lands of Kilmaronock are mentioned in the 14th and 15th centuries.
J Irving 1879.
The castle belonged to the Earl of Glencairn in 1695.
W Camden 1789.
Kilmaronock Castle is an oblong tower, measuring 10.0 x 12.0m and four or five storeys high. The building is now a ruin but is in a fair state of preservation, and from the construction and design, probably dates from the late 15th - early 16th century.
Visited by OS (R D L) 21 January 1963.
NS 455 877 A tower of 15th to 16th century date.
RCAHMS 1978, visited December 1977
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92
|Books and References|
Camden, W (1789) Britannia, (Translated and enlarged by R Gough; four volumes)
Page(s): Vol. 3, 352
Coventry, M (2008) Castles of the Clans: the strongholds and seats of 750 Scottish families and clans, Musselburgh
Page(s): 108,135,145,158,216 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.COV
Irving, J (1879) The book of Dumbartonshire [sic]: a history of the county, burghs, parishes, and lands, memoirs of families, and notices of industries carried on in the Lennox district, 3v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 2, 222-5 Held at RCAHMS D.11.4.IRV