Site Type CASTLE, TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 43569
Site Number NS52NW 3
NGR NS 50351 25666
Council EAST AYRSHIRE
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CUMNOCK AND DOON VALLEY
Former County AYRSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS52NW 3 50351 25666
(NS 5035 2566) Kingencleugh Castle (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map (1967)
Kingencleugh Castle; From the extant remains, this seems to have been built more as a dwelling than for defence. John Knox is said to have visited it in 1556.
Name Book 1856
Hew Campbell of Kingancleuch (sic) is mentioned by Knox in 1544. Thereafter numerous references to the Campbells of Kingancleuch occur until the late 18th century.
J Paterson 1852
The remains are those of a four storey L-shaped residence of ashlar-ended rubble masonry. The remaining walls are 0.8m thick; the two lower floors have slit windows only. The NW wall, forming the end of the W arm of the 'L', stands to its full height of some 7.0m, and is surmounted by a crow-stepped gable. The lower part of a corbelled turret remains in the re-entrant angle, in the W arm of which is the entrance. The main ground floor apartment appears to have been barrel-vaulted. The house is in a fair defensive position,overlooking ground sloping to the S. It is almost exactly parallelled by Jerviston House (NS75NE 1 - a 16th century laird's house).
Visited by OS (JFC) 16 June 1954
Kingencleugh Castle: name verified. As previously described.
Revised at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (JRL) 14 October 1981
|Books and References|
Coventry, M (2008) Castles of the Clans: the strongholds and seats of 750 Scottish families and clans, Musselburgh
Page(s): 85 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.COV
Ordnance Survey (Name Book) Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey (6 inch and 1/2500 scale). Held at RCAHMS on micro fiche.
Page(s): Book No.44, 98 Held at RCAHMS Ref
Paterson, J (1863-6) History of the counties of Ayr and Wigton, 3v in 5 Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.2, 332 Held at RCAHMS D.11.2.PAT