Glasgow, 316 Caledonia Road, Southern Necropolis

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Caledonian Street; Lawmoor Street
Site Type CEMETERY
Canmore ID 44245
Site Number NS56SE 113
NGR NS 59399 63430
Council GLASGOW, CITY OF
Parish GOVAN (CITY OF GLASGOW)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CITY OF GLASGOW
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred NS 59399 63430

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Recording Your Heritage Online

Southern Necropolis, 316 Caledonia Road, 1848, Charles Wilson
Massive castellated Norman arched gateway, tall stairturret to one side. Necropolis extended twice in ten years. Charles Wilson was himself buried here. Neat and trim but the back of the gatehouse is collapsing, from want of maintenance.


Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk


Architectural Notes

NS56SE 113.00 59399 63430

NS56SE 113.01
NS56SE 113.02

Architect: Charles Wilson.
(Undated) information in NMRS.

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending
12 October 2010
 SITE MANAGEMENT

Project Buildings at Risk Register BARR

Notes Cemetery opened 1840, extended to east in 1846, given gate lodge in 1848 and extended to west in 1850. Containing series of high quality stone monuments, including those to Alexander Thomson and Charles Wilson. Divided into Western, Central and Eastern divisions. Boundary walls mostly ashlar, droved to street with ashlar coping. (ref: Historic Scotland) The Southern Necropolis replaced the old burial ground of the village of Gorbals, first established in 1770, where, by the late 1830s, all bought lairs were full and mass burial pits had had to be used during the cholera outbreak of 1832. At a public meeting in November 1839 it was proposed that the Southern Necropolis be established to "enable the working classses to become proprietors of burying places similar to those in the Necropolis, or Sighthill". By 1846 all the cheap lairs is the central section had been purchased and it was decided upon to buy more lairs, largely for cheap lairs. These too were quickly purchased and more land was purchased in later years. (ref: Southern Necropolis Research)

BARR website http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/915757

Further details

 
Books and References

Baxter, N ([2005]) A five hundred year journey: re-interment of Glasgow's mediaeval followers of St Francis, [Glasgow]
Held at RCAHMS D.12.41.BAX

Hutt, (ed) (1996) City of the dead: the story of Glasgow's southern necropolis, Glasgow
Held at RCAHMS D.12.41.NEC.P

Small, S (2008) Greater Glasgow: an illustrated architectural guide
Held at RCAHMS Quick

Showing 3 from 4 ...show more
Charity SC026749