Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 44505
Site Number NS57SE 6
NGR NS 57819 73720
Council EAST DUNBARTONSHIRE
Parish BALDERNOCK (STRATHKELVIN)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District STRATHKELVIN
Former County STIRLINGSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
NS57SE 6.00 5782 7372 Bardowie Castle
NS57SE 6.01 57971 73801 Bardowie Mains
Glasgow, Mitchell Library, J. Maclehose' Country Houses - 1 print
Repairs to house and offices. Payment of #60 to James Robertson Esq. Account Book. 1837 GD161/Box 21
Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC23069, 1953.
|Notes and Activities|
NS57SE 6.00 57819 73720
(NS 5782 7372) Bardowie Castle (NR)
OS 6" map, (1971).
NS57SE 6.01 NS 57971 73801 Farmhouse; Farmsteading (Bardowie Mains)
Bardowie Castle consists of a tower, evidently completed by 1566, and additions made from the late 17th or early 18th century onwards; the latter are still inhabited as a modern mansion. The tower, which is still complete, is oblong on plan and measures 32'2" x 27'. It attains a height of four storeys, the uppermost one being constructed mainly within the roof. Its walls vary from 6'5" to 8'3" in thickness on the ground floor; the masonry is random rubble.
Bardowie Castle is as described by the RCAHMS. The tower is still partly inhabited.
Visited by OS (R D), 16 August 1966.
|Books and References|
Coventry, M (2001) The castles of Scotland Musselburgh
Page(s): 78 Held at RCAHMS F.5.2.COV
Coventry, M (2008) Castles of the Clans: the strongholds and seats of 750 Scottish families and clans, Musselburgh
Page(s): 65 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.COV
Irving, G (1970) 'Bardowie the beautiful', Scotland's Mag, vol.66, 10 October
Held at RCAHMS D.2.23.BAR.P