Chryston, Bedlay Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Bedlay House; Bedley House
Site Type HOUSE, TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 45203
Site Number NS67SE 14
NGR NS 69187 70057
Council NORTH LANARKSHIRE
Parish CADDER (STRATHKELVIN-LA)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District STRATHKELVIN
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

NS67SE 14.01 69388 70036 Bedlay Castle, Stable Block
NS67SE 14.02 69227 70029 Bedlay Castle, Gate

Owner: Alexander McAdam

Door and part of stair from Petershill House now at Bedlay Castle.



EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Glasgow, Mitchell Library. J. Maclehose. Country Houses - 1 photograph

Glasgow, Mitchell Library - Glasgow in Former Times II, pencil and wash 1853
No 167 William Simpson

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NS67SE 14.00 69187 70057.

(NS 6919 7005) Bedlay Castle (NR)
OS 6" map, (1967).

Bedlay House now known as Bedlay Castle (Information contained in letter from A Gibb to OS 27 July 1961, letter file CR 500) belongs to two periods, the eastern section, with a square stair-tower projecting to the north, dating from the last quarter of the 16th century, while the west end with its two round towers, was built about a hundred years later. The main house is two storeys and an attic in height, the northern square tower rising a storey higher and the western extension having a further garret storey in the roof. Many of the windows have been enlarged, and the dormer pediments are modern.
The original house was built by the 4th Lord Boyd of Kilmarnock, who acquired the lands after the Reformation. In 1642, it passed to the Robertsons who extended it. It is still occupied and in a good state of repair.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; N Tranter 1962-70; Information from notice board at main entrance, the housekeeper and the lodge Gatekeeper.

The lands of Bedlay were passed to the Robertons as stated in McGibbon and Ross (1887), Salter (1993) and Tranter (1935). However, Tranter (1962-5) uses the name Robertson rather than Roberton.
Information supplied by a Mr Roberton would seem to confirm that the lands were passed to the descendants of a John Roberton, the 9th Laird of Earnock rather than the Robertson family.
Information from RCAHMS (DE), as per e-mail from M P Roberton, June 2005

 
Books and References

Coventry, M (2001) The castles of Scotland Musselburgh
Page(s): 53,83 Held at RCAHMS F.5.2.COV

Coventry, M (2008) Castles of the Clans: the strongholds and seats of 750 Scottish families and clans, Musselburgh
Page(s): 53,81,101 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.COV

MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 3, 467-71 plan, illust Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC

Showing 3 from 7 ...show more
Charity SC026749