Stoer Head Lighthouse
Alternative Names Stoerhead Lighthouse; Cluas Deas; Point Of Stoer Head, Lighthouse And Lighthouse Keeper's Dwellings; North Minch
Site Type HOUSE(S), LIGHTHOUSE
Canmore ID 4524
Site Number NC03SW 6
NGR NC 00370 32967
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District SUTHERLAND
Former County SUTHERLAND
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NC03SW 6 00370 32967
Stoerhead Lighthouse [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1971.
(Location cited as NC 003 330). Stoer Head Lighthouse, built 1870, engineers D and T Stevenson. A short circular-section tower linked at two levels to a flat-roofed two-storey block of keepers' houses.
J R Hume 1977.
This shore lighthouse guards the E (mainland) side of the northern entrance into the Minch. It was built by David and Thomas Stevenson in 1870, and became a major automatic light in 1978. The (former) keepers' house lie adjacent, and remain in short-term residential use.
Stoer Head (Point of Stoer) is at NC 022 356.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 August 2008.
R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986; S Krauskopf 2001.
Notes Automated in 1978.
R W Munro 1979
Notes Light established in 1870.
R W Munro 1979
|Books and References|
Allardyce and Hood, K and E M (1986) At Scotland's edge: a celebration of two hundred years of the lighthouse service in Scotland and the Isle of Man, Glasgow
Page(s): 78-9, 154 Held at RCAHMS J.6.4.ALL
Gifford, J (1992) Highland and Islands, The buildings of Scotland series London
Page(s): 594 Held at RCAHMS Ref
Hume, J R (1977a) The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 2, the Highlands and Islands London
Page(s): 310 Held at RCAHMS J.4.11.HUM