Alternative Names Tower Of Fintrie
Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 45303
Site Number NS68NW 2
NGR NS 64139 86386
Former Region CENTRAL
Former District STIRLING
Former County STIRLINGSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS68NW 2 64139 86386
(NS 6414 8638) Fintry Castle (NR) (Ruins)
OS 25" map (1922)
The remains of Fintry Castle are now far too much reduced to plan, but they suggest a main oblong block lying E-W on the top of the knoll and measuring about 55ft by 28ft; there are also indications of what may have been a tower at the west end of the north side. To the north and east of the castle ruins proper there are the foundations of a wall enclosing a courtyard, probably of the same period, with traces of outhouses along its inner face; the outhouse walls are thinner than that of the castle, which was found to be 6ft thick on the north side.
On the south side and below is a large quarry-pit from which, no doubt, the stone for the building was obtained. No doubt the castle was erected in the late 15th/early 16th century. In 1724 it was referred to as the "old ruinous Tower of Fintrie".
The remains of Fintry Castle are as described above. A section of rubble masonry 12m long by 1.3m wide and 1.3m high remains of its north wall; all other walls have fallen. The grass-covered foundations of the courtyard wall and outbuildings have a max. height of 0.3m and are spread to a width of 2.0m. Immediately to the south is a causeway possibly contemporary with the castle leading from its west end to the courtyard in the east.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (RD) 3 March 1965.
NS 641 863 The much reduced remains of this castle suggest a main oblong block lying E and W with a possible tower at the W end of the N side. To the N and E there are slight traces of a courtyard wall with outbuildings along its inner face. The castle was probably built in the late 15th or early 16th century.
RCAHMS 1979, visited August 1978; RCAHMS 1963
|Books and References|
Macfarlane, W (1906-8) Geographical collections relating to Scotland, in Mitchell, A and Clark, J T 3v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.1, 350 Held at RCAHMS D.20.MAC.R
RCAHMS (1963) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Stirlingshire: an inventory of the ancient monuments, 2v Edinburgh
Page(s): 264, No.214 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/16
RCAHMS (1979b) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Stirling District, Central Region, The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series no 7 Edinburgh
Page(s): 39, No.360 Held at RCAHMS A.1.2.ARC(7)