Alternative Names Cumbernauld Castle
Site Type HOUSE (18TH CENTURY), STABLE(S) (18TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 45819
Site Number NS77NE 16
NGR NS 77249 75904
Council NORTH LANARKSHIRE
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CUMBERNAULD AND KILSYTH
Former County DUNBARTONSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
NS77NE 16.00 77200 75901
NS77NE 16.01 77272 75925 Sundial
NS77NE 16.02 77683 76215 Doocot
NS77NE 16.03 77671 76218 Kennels, Cottage
NS77NE 45 7768 7621 Gamekeeper's Lodge
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow Diocesan Office, Clyde Street, Glasgow, Drawings Collection.
CP59 Site plan Photocopy & c. w Nd
|Notes and Activities|
NS77NE 16 77200 75901.
The old castle or house of Cumbernauld was converted into stables after the building of a new mansion in 1731. During the 1745-6 Rebellion, the old building was burnt to the ground by a party of dragoons.
New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845 (J Watson)
NS 7718 7592. The stables bear no indication of any architectural features earlier than 18th / 19th century date.
Visited by OS (JLD) 18 March 1957
Cumbernauld Castle was probably built in the late 14th century and its site is now occupied by Cumbernauld House. Excavation 65m NE of the house located 'a 15th century rubbish chute, an adjoining prison and cellar, and nearby, a well-house' (probably of 17th century date), and recovered 'coins and pottery sherds dating from the 14th century'. RCAHMS 1982; H B Millar 1980
Cumbernauld House is now the headquarters of the Cumbernauld Development Corporation.
Information from RCAHMS (RHM) 15 Sept 1993
|Books and References|
Adam, W (1812) Vitruvius Scoticus: being a collection of plans, elevations, and sections of public buildings, noblemen's and gentlemen's houses in Scotland: principally from the designs of the late William Adam Esq., architect, Edinburgh
Cumbernauld Hist Soc (1962) 'Cumbernauld', Discovery Excav Scot
McCann, J E (1981a) 'Cumbernauld Castle 1981', Glasdig, vol.1