Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 45943
Site Number NS78NE 2
NGR NS 77902 88370
Parish ST NINIANS
Former Region CENTRAL
Former District STIRLING
Former County STIRLINGSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
ARCHITECT: David Bryce. Proposed new House (not executed) 1868.
Scottish Record Office
Alterations and improvements to Old Sauchie Offices.
Architects: F & W MacKison, Stirling.
Account for survey, report, designs, working drawings and estimate of cost. (£1,540).
1866 GD 193/Box 58/Bundle 9
SRO GD/193/975 photos interiors of Sauchie ?
|Notes and Activities|
NS78NE 2.00 77902 88370
NS78NE 2.01 78110 88607 Dovecot
(NS 7790 8837) Old Sauchie (NR)
OS 6" map (1967)
Old Sauchie is the name given to an extensive range of buildings. They are not all of the same period. The earliest portion is the L-shaped tower-house at the S end of the range. Now a mere shell, it stands three storeys and an attic high. Originally free-standing, it was probably built in the late 16th century; in the early 17th century, a two-storeyed wing was added to the N gable end of the main block, and further additions were made in the late 17th or early 18th centuries. The later buildings have been much altered and now form dwellings and an estate office.
RCAHMS 1963, visited 1956
The castle has been much added to, and altered, and recently restored, being generally in good condition.
Visited by OS (JD) 19 May 1953.
NS 779 883 A watching brief was undertaken in and around Old Sauchie Tower House. Unfortunately the tower had been cleaned down to natural in the last hundred years, and the tiny area on the edge of the gorge to the rear had been thoroughly disturbed by alterations to the adjacent buildings in 1998. A small area to the front of the tower was also taken down c 30cm onto a rubble layer; no archaeology was disturbed.
Sponsor: Mr J A Leask.
G Haggarty 2003
|Books and References|
Coventry, M (2008) Castles of the Clans: the strongholds and seats of 750 Scottish families and clans, Musselburgh
Page(s): 188,404,490 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.COV
Haggarty, G (2003c) 'Old Sauchie tower house (St Ninians parish), watching brief', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.4
RCAHMS (1963) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Stirlingshire: an inventory of the ancient monuments, 2v Edinburgh
Page(s): 224-7, No.195 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/16