Gallow Hill, Bridge Of Allan

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Knock Hill
Site Type FORT
Canmore ID 45987
Site Number NS79NE 10
NGR NS 7825 9845
Council STIRLING
Parish DUNBLANE AND LECROPT
Former Region CENTRAL
Former District STIRLING
Former County PERTHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NS79NE 10 7825 9845.

(Centred NS 7825 9845) Camp (NR)
OS 6" map (1948)

A native fort. Ring of stones represents rampart round edge of knoll. Entrance on south is well-preserved. Many loose stones, debris of huts, inside. Hill precipitous on NE.
OS 6" map annotated by O G S Crawford, 5 June 1937.

An isolated rocky hill with the remains of a strong wall, mainly turf-covered, round its upper edge. There is an irregular mound in the centre, broken on the east, and which is separated from the rampart by a broad ditch, possibly the result of quarrying. The interior is uneven, and so much covered with the undergrowth, that no definite trace of hut circles could be found, although many small stones lie scattered on the surface.
Visited by OS (JLD) 27 May 1953

An upper quernstone of Roman type, dated to 1st century AD, was found recently on the top course of the wall (of the fort). The nearest known Roman site is Hillside Camp (Perth 132 NE 1) 1 1/2 miles to the NW. The quernstone is now in the NMAS (Acc. No. BB. 127) donated by Miss Stirling.
M Stirling 1960; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1961

Generally as described above. The fort measures about 60.0 x 40.0m. It consists of a single stony rampart about 3.5m wide, and about 1.0m high internally. The rampart is best preserved on the south half of the fort. On the north it is indefinite and obscured. The entrance is in the SE segment where a definite hollow-way leads up the slopes of the knoll.
Revised at 25".
Visited by OS (WDJ) 8 January 1964

NS 782 984 This fort measures 48m by 32m within the remains of a single rampart 4.5m thick and 1m high.
RCAHMS 1979, visited October 1978.

14 June 1957
 FIELD VISIT

Project Marginal Land Survey

Notes This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

Further details

 
Books and References

PSAS (1958-9) 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.92
Page(s): 120

RCAHMS (1950-9) Marginal Land Survey (unpublished typescripts). 3v. Typescripts
Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.MAR

RCAHMS (1979b) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Stirling District, Central Region, The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series no 7 Edinburgh
Page(s): 18, No.137 Held at RCAHMS A.1.2.ARC(7)

Showing 3 from 4 ...show more
Charity SC026749