Alloa Harbour

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Alloa Docks
Site Type HARBOUR
Canmore ID 47217
Site Number NS89SE 54
NGR NS 88296 92206
Council CLACKMANNAN
Parish ALLOA
Former Region CENTRAL
Former District CLACKMANNAN
Former County CLACKMANNANSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred NS 88296 92206

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NS89SE 54.00 centred on 88296 92206

NS89SE 54.01 8845 9200 Dock Warehouse

REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office
Repairs and improvements to the harbour of Alloa, Memorandum.
Also repair and lighting of streets of Alloa and road for Sauchie coal.
1798 GD124/17/377

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NS89SE 54.00 centred 88296 92206

NS89SE 54.01 8845 9200 Dock Warehouse

A port is first mentioned in Alloa in 1502; the area of the quayside at the Pow has no structures which appear to be earlier than the mid-19th century, apart from the stone quay, which may be of 18th-century date. RCAHMS 1978, visited August 1977; A Graham 1971; A T Simpson and S Stevenson 1983

The harbour is situated on the banks of the Forth at the southern end of The Walk, immediately south of Alloa Glassworks. The harbour is now disused and fenced of. It is difficult to ascertain the extent of the remains because of the restricted access.
Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 24 February 1996.

24 February 1996
 FIELD VISIT

Project The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Border of Fife

Notes The harbour is situated on the banks of the Forth at the southern end of The Walk, immediately south of Alloa Glassworks. The harbour is now disused and fenced of. It is difficult to ascertain the extent of the remains because of the restricted access.
Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 24 February 1996.


Further details

 
Books and References

Graham, A (1971) 'Archaeological notes on some harbours in eastern Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.101
Page(s): 212-14 Held at RCAHMS J.6.4.GRA

RCAHMS (1978b) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Clackmannan District and Falkirk District, Central Region, The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series no 1 Edinburgh
Page(s): 14, No.54 Held at RCAHMS A.1.2.ARC(1)

Simpson and Stevenson, A T and S (1983b) Historic Alloa: the archaeological implications of development, Scottish burgh survey series {Glasgow}
Page(s): 3-4, 17-19 Held at RCAHMS C.3.3.BUR

Showing 3 from 3 ...show more
Charity SC026749